Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: very frustrated with my Barley Crusher  (Read 4982 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
very frustrated with my Barley Crusher
« on: March 17, 2014, 02:28:37 pm »
I have a Barley Crusher Malt Mill, bought it new in 2008.  For the last 5-6 months it's been jamming or "cavitating" about 10 times during every 20+ lbs batch of grain I mill. For those who don't know the mill, only one of the two rollers is driven (in my case by a cordless drill running around 300 RPMs) and the other is supposed to spin when the grain gets between the rollers. But it keeps stopping and you have to bang or shake the mill a lot to get it going again, and usually once per batch of grain I have to dump it out and clean it out.  I have it running at the factory gap setting.

Any suggestions on how to get this fixed? I blast it out religiously with high pressure compressed air after each use so it is externally clean.  Is there oiling or something to do internally? Or a way to make it not jam up?   Or is it time for a better mill of new & improved design?

-red

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
Re: very frustrated with my Barley Crusher
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 02:39:32 pm »
I had this same problem when I first purchased my JSP Maltmill.  Fortunately I was able to buy the gear drive option which solved it for good (luckily I had the Model A because the gear drive isn't available for other models).  I'm not sure whether Barley Crusher offers a similar option, but if they do I wouldn't hesitate to make the investment.  I'm also not sure if there are other mills that offer the option to drive more than one roller, but if my Maltmill ever needs replacing it will be a requirement for me.

Offline arustyt

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:01:03 pm »
Does the free roller turn easily? I would guess lubrication is part of the maintenance.  I don't know about the barley crusher but i know it is for my monster mill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It comes in pints? I'm getting one!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 03:01:30 pm »
I've been having the same problem lately and mine is about 4-5 years old. The last couple of times I've taken it apart and it still only spins one roller half the time. I know when I got it, it had a rubber ring around the driven roller and it broke off shorty after. I was thinking about that I should try and find another rubber ring, but it would probably just break off after a few uses. I'm also at a loss ???
Dan Chisholm

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 03:30:39 pm »
I ahve a barley crusher going on three years and I have not had this problem, yet....

You do need to lube the rollers. It's possible that there is grain dust packed into the bearings preventing them from rolling smoothly. Take it apart and do a thorough cleaning and lube

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline brewmanator

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 03:40:23 pm »
We had the same problem.  It seemed like the grain was bouncing back behind the free roller and jamming up the the whole system.  We tried directing the flow of grain via duct tape to more of the middle of the hopper.  It seemed to help a little, but ultimately we gave up and bought a different mill.
- Mike

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 05:02:26 pm »
I have sold this issue and bought me a monster mill.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 06:55:31 pm »
So I'm now taking recommendations for a better mill. I have heard good things about Monsters.  Anyone tried the new Captain Crush from Northern Brewer yet?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:50:50 pm »
I've had this problem... I should lube mine up frequently but I also slide on a #13 o-ring to drive the passive roller. When the ring breaks this is an opportune time to clean the roller. Yes it has frustrated me but it has been my own fault for not keeping the BC clean of gummy flour considering it is a precision piece of equipment.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 08:55:15 pm »
I've had mine a couple years with no issues but I'm pretty anal (shocking, I know) about brushing it out after each use.  I had an o-ring on the passive barrel until it broke and never replaced it to no noticeable effect.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 07:04:31 am »
This really sounds like the bearings are either clogged with flour or one of the balls is deformed. If you call them, you might be able to buy new bearings and replace them.

Edit:
I read that it does not have ball bearings, but oil impregnated bronze bushings. Those could wear out too and should be replaceable.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:06:56 am by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 07:11:30 am »
Or drop a C on a new cereal killer that comes with new bearings already installed.

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 07:27:24 am »
I've had this problem... I should lube mine up frequently but I also slide on a #13 o-ring to drive the passive roller. When the ring breaks this is an opportune time to clean the roller. Yes it has frustrated me but it has been my own fault for not keeping the BC clean of gummy flour considering it is a precision piece of equipment.

#13? isn't that a little small? it looks like the rollers have a diameter of 1.25"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 08:44:03 am »
Have you contacted the manufacturer? this is the kind of thing you pay the big bucks for on these mills. I don't know specifically about the Barley Crusher but when I had a similar problem with my Monster Mill I called and talked to the guy (pretty sure it was THE GUY) and he talked me through some things to try to alleviate the problem.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 11:51:47 am »
As Euge said clean the knurls in the rollers. When they get gummed up they don't pull the grain through and you have problems.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter