Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lager fermentation  (Read 7090 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Lager fermentation
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 09:08:01 am »
I don't believe it.  If true, that would be revolutionary information.  Millions of people have been taught that lager yeast is a different species from ale yeast.  Related, but different species. 

Hardly revolutionary in biology to reclassify organisms - either deciding that two species are the same or splitting strains into distinct species. It happens all the time. Just look at dogs if you want to see the diversity that can come from a single species. Or humans - some can't digest certain things (like lactose) and some can.
So lactose-intolerant folks are the ale yeast of humans?
I guess so
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 09:37:48 am »
From wikipedia:

As S. pastorianus is a hybrid of Saccharomyces bayanus (or, as recently proposed, Saccharomyces eubayanus [3]) and Saccharomyces cerevisiae, finding a degree of phenotypic and genomic similarity between the two species is not surprising.[4] The hybrid nature of S. pastorianus also explains the genome size, which is up to 60% larger than that of S. cerevisiae, as it includes large parts of the two genomes.[5] There is growing evidence, however, that S. pastorianus has inherited most of its genetic material from S. bayanus.[5] Indeed the mitochondrial DNA[6] and ribosomal DNA[5] of S. pastorianus appear to be derived from S. bayanus rather than S. cerevisiae.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 09:44:56 am »
From wikipedia:

As S. pastorianus is a hybrid of Saccharomyces bayanus (or, as recently proposed, Saccharomyces eubayanus [3]) and Saccharomyces cerevisiae, finding a degree of phenotypic and genomic similarity between the two species is not surprising.[4] The hybrid nature of S. pastorianus also explains the genome size, which is up to 60% larger than that of S. cerevisiae, as it includes large parts of the two genomes.[5] There is growing evidence, however, that S. pastorianus has inherited most of its genetic material from S. bayanus.[5] Indeed the mitochondrial DNA[6] and ribosomal DNA[5] of S. pastorianus appear to be derived from S. bayanus rather than S. cerevisiae.

Phew! that clears it up. :o

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 09:51:27 am »
"In today's news, FLBrewer discovered there is no difference between lagers and ales...craft beer fans are outraged"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to me the big difference is temperature tolerances. while you can ferment an ale or a lager yeast at say 65 you can ferment a lager yeast at 45 and the vast majority of ale yeasts would not be able to be active at those temps. As I understand the current genetic info on these yeasts the new world S. eubayanus contains those genes conferring the abilitity to be active at a lower temps.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 10:13:01 am »
So what is the difference? Other then I can't drink most lagers.

The difference is the genetics of the yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 04:35:37 pm »
Isnt science all about discovering truth and accepting it over the dogma of the masses? No offense Dmtaylor, but id go with what Wyeast says over what millions of peoole have been taught. But I reserve the right to change my mind if the masses show up with torches and pitchforks.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 05:04:11 pm »
"In today's news, FLBrewer discovered there is no difference between lagers and ales...craft beer fans are outraged"

This is the funniest thing I've heard all day. Well done sir

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 05:07:36 pm »

Can you explain why you can't drink most lagers?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 05:11:28 pm »
+1. Way too many different styles of lagers (or ales) to generalize. I get that from some of my family directed at ales in general, too. It's fun to serve them one where they have to eat their words and admit they really like it.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 07:03:14 pm »

I can, it's just that in general, I don't like the taste of most lagers. Although I do like some commercial lagers like Samuel Smith Organic Lager.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 07:36:32 pm »

I can, it's just that in general, I don't like the taste of most lagers. Although I do like some commercial lagers like Samuel Smith Organic Lager.
There is a world of lagers that most don't know. Explore lagers more. There are some truly great ones in Germany that either don't make the trip over, or suffer from the travel.

Sort of like someone saying I don't like beer. They haven't found the one they like.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 08:34:15 pm »
Okay... so... Wyeast is the only friggin webpage on the planet that says lager yeast and ale yeast are the same species.  I Googled and Googled and couldn't find one single news article or Wiki-anything telling me that the two species had been combined.  Go ahead and look, and let me know if you can find an independent source of the information that has two of its own legs to stand on.  Ready, set, go!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 11:15:56 pm »
I see torches and pitchforks.... screw Wyeast! I think they are totally different!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 03:47:29 am »
I've brewed with both enough now and think you can use recipes interchangeably with either type, but lager yeast results in brews that simply taste different than ale yeast. Could they be confused for each other at times? Yes. Perhaps.

I recall an article that lager yeast share ancient dna found in yeast trapped in prehistoric amber.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 05:01:29 am »

There is a world of lagers that most don't know. Explore lagers more. There are some truly great ones in Germany that either don't make the trip over, or suffer from the travel.

Sort of like someone saying I don't like beer. They haven't found the one they like.

+1 - I've heard this comment before from craft beer drinkers "I don't like lagers" and it means they just haven't really become familiar with lagers from around the world. There are so many great lager beers out there. Start with bocks, for instance.

Problems is, ales are so easy to brew and turn around and that is what you find most American craft breweries focusing on.

As far as differences go, lager yeasts can ferment some sugars ale yeast can't. They leave behind a much slimmer ester profile so are much, much cleaner tasting and lend a particular smoothness and refinement that ale yeasts can't achieve - although some, such as WY1007, can get very close to.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:03:51 am by majorvices »