Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitizing buckets  (Read 3237 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Sanitizing buckets
« on: March 17, 2014, 05:04:10 pm »
I saw a video recently where the brewer was simply spraying a sanitizing solution from a spray bottle and coating the fermenting bucket. Does anyone do this instead of filling the bucket with solution? This seems to be a lot less time consuming and a water saver.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Sanitizing buckets
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:22:37 pm »
I pour a couple cups of sanitizer in the bucket and use a clean rag dedicated to sanitizing to wipe down the inside of the bucket with the sanitizer that I just dumped in. I usually use vertices swipes around the bucket about four times around... Seems to work well for me.
Frank

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 05:34:48 pm »
I add about a gallon and shake. I use RO and save my sanitizer across multiple batches.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:21:28 pm »
I add about a gallon and shake. I use RO and save my sanitizer across multiple batches.

RO?

Offline wsoublo

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 06:25:12 pm »

RO?

Reverse Osmosis water; distilled would work too.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 06:36:05 pm »
It's about contact. Spritzing works fine. I fill, but I use it for other things like refreshing my spritzer etc.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 06:49:56 pm »

RO?

Reverse Osmosis water; distilled would work too.

Are you saying you mix your sanitizer with RO? Any advantage in doing so over tap water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 07:04:07 pm »
It lasts much longer when mixed with water that doesn't have minerals.  At least that's what I've been told. 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:05:48 pm »
I stretch my RO based starsan out for 3 or so months. I dump it when it gets too low to be useful for bottles and racking canes.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 07:06:47 pm »
I always have a 5 gal bucket full of starsan mix. On brew day I use it to keep stuff on hand and when im ready to go to primary I just pour one into another and then rack. Cover up the second one and store till next bree day. I can usually get about a month with tap water.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 07:58:53 pm »
Is there a need to cover up or seal mixed star san solution?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 08:14:10 pm »

From what I have been told, yes. I keep mine in a spare "ale pail" with the lid on.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 04:24:16 pm »

When I forget to cover the star-san in my garage I often find some well sanitized flies in it so I cover. 

I did measure the pH of some older cloudy star-san once and it was still below 3 so I used it with no problems.  Ultimately the pH is what drives the effectiveness from what I've read so if you wanted to measure all the time, I think you'd be OK but most of us assume cloudy means it's not worth using.  My tap water is very hard and I get cloudy immediately and it always works when I've forgotten to bring home some distilled.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 05:06:09 pm »
I saw a video recently where the brewer was simply spraying a sanitizing solution from a spray bottle and coating the fermenting bucket. Does anyone do this instead of filling the bucket with solution? This seems to be a lot less time consuming and a water saver.

Get it clean. Really clean. Spray it down. Repeat the spray if think it makes you feel better. This is what I do for my conical fermenter. For buckets I dump star san in and make sure it hits all of the surface by rolling/shaking. Can't pick up or roll the conical.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 09:01:27 am »

When I used buckets, this is exactly what I did.  Even today with my conicals, I spray them down pretty good.