Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bad Bucket Seal. Transfer for Lagering?  (Read 1786 times)

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Bad Bucket Seal. Transfer for Lagering?
« on: March 14, 2014, 05:52:50 pm »
I did some searches and haven't found an answer to this, so time to start a new topic.

I typically ferment in a 6 gallon better bottle. I decided to try a lager while the temps were still cold in my garage, which will be a great place to leave it be for a month. I decided to use my 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket instead of the carboy to help keep any light from shining on it if I leave my garage door open at times. I haven't used the bucket in over a year.

About 3 days into fermentation, I realized that I didn't have an extremely long lag time, but that my bucket has lost it's good seal. The airlock has zero activity. The lid of the bucket is barely swollen, so I'm thinking it is leaking out the sides of the lid. Fermentation is definitely happening and will be finishing up in a few days.

My question is; should I rack the beer into my carboy for the lagering stage? I rarely use a secondary and hadn't planned on it this time, but the seal has me thinking. If the outgoing pressure is low while it lagers, what's to keep from some unwanted air getting in? Most concerning, I don't want the "fumes" of a garage getting into my beer. I'm not interesting in bottling a Munich Helles with a touch of gasoline exhaust. So what are your thoughts?
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
Re: Bad Bucket Seal. Transfer for Lagering?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 07:10:52 pm »
I would transfer to secondary in this situation after checking that the krausen has started to fall and you are about 75% done fermentation. You will be better off in the 6 gal better bottle regarding headspace and i have no idea about the gas fumes, somebody else can probably answer that better than i. Wrap a blanket or something around the bottle to keep light out.
It's all fun and games until somebody loses a liver.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 11:37:08 pm »
Keep it where it is. there will be positive or equal pressure inside enough to keep out air.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 11:49:44 am »
Keep it where it is. there will be positive or equal pressure inside enough to keep out air.

Agreed.  Too many bad things can happen on racking to secondary too early.  Wait it out and press on the lid all the way around the seal to get a possibly better seal.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 12:01:00 pm »

Agreed.  Too many bad things can happen on racking to secondary too early.  Wait it out and press on the lid all the way around the seal to get a possibly better seal.

+2
Jon H.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 12:06:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to open the lid for a gravity reading and put a different airlock on at the same time. I noticed the airlock may have cracked at the bottom as it goes into the bung. Air may be escaping there and not the lid. Either way, the beer will lager in that bucket.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!