Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Inspire me.  (Read 3906 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Inspire me.
« on: March 17, 2014, 09:29:22 pm »
I haven't brewed in a while.  I have a 5 tap kegerator with two beer on tap and a cider, two empty taps and nothing to put on them.

I'm in a real brewing funk.  Not sure what to make, not sure what to do next.  I want to try some new styles (see my recent Berliner Weiss post) but now doesn't seem like the right time.  This winter keeps dragging on, I got into a disagreement with my usual on-line supplier so I'm back to the one I don't like as much.  I've had a couple batches go bad recently due to a wild-yeast infection so I bought 3 (yes 3!!!) stainless conicals that I haven't used yet.  I threw my back out again so I can't really do much right now anyway and we cancelled the Movie Channels so I don't get HBO and can't watch the new Game of Thrones episodes. 

There, now I'm done venting.  I need that kick in the pants to get me back at it.  What keeps you motivated to brew?  I've got base and specialty malt sitting in the garage, lots of yeast to use and obviously fermenter room. 
Help.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Re: Inspire me.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 10:26:08 pm »
Find a brew buddy. Someone who wants to learn, or someone who can help you and you guys can brew and split batches. Brewing with a friend is always fun and it will be easier on your back.

Close your eyes...think about the lovely smell of those mashing grains and boiling wort. You're weighing out the hops. Rub 'em in your hands and just take a deep wiff. Mmmmmmm........Beer.

You've got the winter sad syndrome and only making beer can cure you.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 05:38:32 am »
3 conicals to fill - I would do 3 beers that are identical other than the yeast used then track the progress of each and note the differences in fermentation and flavor profile.   Or do 3different beers to fill out your taps - a light ale like a Kolsch, cream or blond; an amber, ale or lager; then a dark beer, such as a Porter, stout or Schwarzbier, if you can lager.  I would consider trying a cherry stout, since you can now dump yeast and do a secondary in the same vessel - maybe add some Brett with the tart cherry addition (whole or purée or wine base), if you want to get funky with aging the stout a bit and belgianize it.

I hope something there inspires you!  Keep on brewing- this winter is starting to end!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:25:25 am »
I get in brewing funks too. It happens. I just get too excited, do too much beer stuff, and then get burnt out on it. Then I get excited again and the cycle starts anew.

I think I'm on the upswing for this one. I haven't brewed in nearly a month (which is very, very long for me) but I'll be brewing on Sunday. And again on next Friday. I committed to brew for our housewarming party at the end of April, so I should really get on it.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 06:30:42 am »
I get burned out by the end of a tripple header brew day, but already planning the follo day. Got a trippl header this weekend. Rebrews just in case, for NHC.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Tapatalk

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 06:45:18 am »
I committed to brew for our housewarming party at the end of April, so I should really get on it.

No one's gonna actually go in the house.  This is where the party will be.   ;D

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 06:50:07 am »
I committed to brew for our housewarming party at the end of April, so I should really get on it.

No one's gonna actually go in the house.  This is where the party will be.   ;D

That's another project I have to start and finish before then. Having proper taps in the adjoining room to keep the drunks out of the toys. Ugh, more beer projects!  ::)

But gmac, why not brew something to help inspire spring to come a little faster? Like a Helles? Or a cream ale?
Amanda Burkemper

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 07:02:05 am »
Why not brew something big to age into next winter? Make that last brew that feels like winter and by the time you're packaging the beer it will feel like spring.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 07:05:52 am »
It is March, brew a Maerzen!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 07:13:26 am »
gmac, you've inspired me to start thinking about beer more.  8)

I think I'm going to do a couple of saisons for this housewarming party. LOVE saisons. Saisons + spring = heaven. Perhaps I'll dry hop one with Amarillo, a la Tank 7.  :) Maybe I'll zest some citrus into the other half, like from Zymurgy.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 08:26:07 am »
Perfect that Kolsch recipe!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 09:33:20 am »
Go mix-a-six of some beers you like from various styles, preferably something you haven't had in a while. Maybe one or more of them will give you some inspiration.

Try out a new style, or one you haven't done in a while. Maybe go to the LHBS and see what seasonal yeasts they have and see if any of them inspire you.

Set a schedule. I was in a big funk a few months ago. I had brewed a few styles for the first time and none really turned out as well as I had hoped. And in the middle of all that my winter warmer (which was initially a delicious ESB) got infected from a cinnamon stick. But I have a tough schedule to work around between work and family, so I only get 1-2 potential brewdays a month. I schedule them into my calendar, and brew whatever's scheduled when the day comes. I still enjoy it; it doesn't feel like work to me, but it does keep me moving forward regardless of whether I'm in a funk or not.

If nothing is jumping out at you, then brew some solid recipes that you know you're going to want to drink once the weather gets warm. Even if it doesn't do much for you now, you will appreciate it in a few months. IPA, APA, Helles, Kolsch, Pils, etc.

Finally, it sounds like you do actually want to brew. But if you're not feeling it, there's no harm in taking a hiatus for a bit. Stick around on the boards, stay involved in the conversations, and sooner or later something will jump out at you.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 09:55:31 am »
Try to clone labatts' export!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 10:30:00 am »
i feel for you. i haven't brewed since last summer.  i keep thinking about it but just haven't gotten around to it.
Don AHA member

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 11:13:33 am »
Try to clone labatts' export!
I will have to invent that first. :)

Thanks all. I may go for some saison tomorrow. Keep the ideas coming.