Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: spring/summer beer styles  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
spring/summer beer styles
« on: March 18, 2014, 09:52:20 am »
I apologize to those in advance who are stuck in perpetual winter...

I am interested in trying a new beer style that is good for late spring and summer months. I am thinking about something light colored and light bodied. I cannot control fermentation temps to the extent of doing a lager.

I currently brew Kolsch, Blonde, and American Wheat with good success so those are out. I mainly lean toward American styles but am open to other options. Any ideas?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: spring/summer beer styles
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 09:55:07 am »
saison! it's good anytime of year but it's also forgiving of a variety of temp ranges and easy drinking in hot weather.

you can have a lot of fun with the grain bill using a variety of grains malted, flaked, and raw. it can be hoppy or not. always spritzy and light. the original lawnmower beer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:58:48 am »
I was originally toying with saison and have a decent recipe that I have done before ready to go. I wanted to try something different and basically do an IPA/saison hybrid but decided against it. Maybe I should reconsider saison...

The only other style that really comes to mind is Cream Ale. Not very familiar with the style though.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 10:16:50 am »
saison! it's good anytime of year but it's also forgiving of a variety of temp ranges and easy drinking in hot weather.

you can have a lot of fun with the grain bill using a variety of grains malted, flaked, and raw. it can be hoppy or not. always spritzy and light. the original lawnmower beer.

Or a variation on a saison----Biere de Garde  http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-biere-de-guarde
            "Biere de Garde literally means "beer which has been kept." Related to the Belgian Saison style, the   difference is the rounder, richer, sweeter, malt-focused taste. This beer is traditionally brewed in early spring."

Ralph R.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 10:29:40 am »
Let's consider all of the non-obvious options as well.  How about an English ordinary bitter?  Something light and a little malty with great flavor that is also a very easy quaffer in the summer.  Or an Irish red ale?  I know St. Patty's day has already come and gone, but who the heck cares!  It's not a seasonal beer -- you can drink it all summer.  Or for something a little darker, what about a dry stout or oatmeal stout?  Guinness is one example of a "dark beer" that is also quite light in alcohol, and thus very tasty to drink in summer.  These are the kinds of things to consider for the season.  Don't necessarily go for the obvious choices -- brew something that you think YOU will like.  And it might even be regardless of the season.  You want to make a Christmas beer to drink in June?  Go for it!  Or think outside of the box.  What about a black witbier?  I've had a couple of examples that were very tasty and can be drunk year-round.  Sky's the limit.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 11:41:45 am »
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagahs!!
Jesse

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 11:49:59 am »
So I have only brewed about 15 batches of beer. Would like to do a Saison. Any of you guys mind sharing an easy all grain recipie? I cannot control my temps very much either. Everything I brew is fermented at about 67-69 degrees.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 11:54:36 am »
doing a dortmunder this weekend, but the brew after that will be what i'm calling a Summer Pale Ale - 60% 2row, 30% vienna, 10% C-15L - 1.050 5.5 SRM, 4.9-5.0% mid 30s IBUs with Cascade, Chinook and Columbus late hops.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 12:00:08 pm »
So I have only brewed about 15 batches of beer. Would like to do a Saison. Any of you guys mind sharing an easy all grain recipie? I cannot control my temps very much either. Everything I brew is fermented at about 67-69 degrees.

From what I understand, you can use quite a variety of grains for saison but most have a pilsner base.

Mine is basically
75% pils
12.5% munich
7.5% flaked wheat
5% cane sugar
WY3711

The sugar isn't really necessary with 3711 but I use it anyway. In the past, I have bittered with Magnum, Centennial at 20 min and Goldings at flameout but I plan on changing that considerably.

Offline blatz

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 12:03:52 pm »
why not do a witbier?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 12:05:43 pm »
why not do a witbier?

Still kind of acquiring a taste for belgians. Saison is the only belgian style I have brewed but wit seems like a good idea. Any recommendations for a yeast? I would prefer dry if at all possible. What about SafBrew T-58?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:14:27 pm by goschman »

Offline blatz

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 12:12:25 pm »
why not do a witbier?

Still kind of acquiring a taste for belgians. Saison is the only belgian style I have brewed but wit seems like a good idea. Any recommendations for a yeast?

i personally like the wyeast 3944.  duboman posted a recipe for Allagash white yesterday that looks pretty solid.  I'm not a belgian kind of guy, but i do like wit - if that helps any.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 01:10:21 pm »
Along the same vein as a wit: hefeweizen

Belgian pale ale or Belgian blonde.

Any of the category 10 beers: APA, Amber, Brown

California common

American Rye as opposed to the wheat.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 01:19:17 pm »
why not do a witbier?

Still kind of acquiring a taste for belgians. Saison is the only belgian style I have brewed but wit seems like a good idea. Any recommendations for a yeast?

i personally like the wyeast 3944.  duboman posted a recipe for Allagash white yesterday that looks pretty solid.  I'm not a belgian kind of guy, but i do like wit - if that helps any.
thanks for the mention, I was just going to chime in with that recipe, to the op, its in the recipe forum under allagash white clone:)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 01:32:48 pm »
Okay really liking the idea of a Wit. Thanks for the ideas! Got a rough draft put together:

50% Pilsner
40% Wheat
10% Flaked Oats
WY3944
bitter with magnum to ~17 IBUs
dry hop with 1/2 oz each of citra and amarillo
possibly add 5# of pureed pineapple to secondary.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:38:06 pm by goschman »