Author Topic: Irish Moss Question  (Read 1729 times)

Offline 69franx

• Brewmaster
  • Hidden Valley Lake, IN: Greater Cincinnati
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Moss Question
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 11:37:12 AM »
Denny, probably lots if hop residue as well, I just left more in bk because it was so noticeably fluffy. Previously, I had just dumped bk into fermenter through a paint strainer bag. First time syphoning out of bk. thanks all for the rapid responses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Fermenting: The Queen's Diamonds EBW
Conditioning:
In Bottles: Split Open And Melt RIS, My first Cider,  BCS Dunkel, Denny's BVIP, Simple Saison, Bock Me traditional Bock, Nothing Special About It (ordinary, now Special Bitter)
In the works: House IPA, You're my Hero Hazelnut Double Brown, Ringler Pilsner from Ron Price recipe in the wiki, "Barky Pilsner" also from wi

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Ride Hard, Brew Hard, Drink Hard, Repeat....
    • View Profile
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
im confused. is this irish moss or whirlfloc we are talking about. starts out as irish moss "tablets" (didnt know they existed). seems like a whole tablet of whirlfloc was used? ???

whirlfloc is a blend of Irish moss and purified carrageenan..but i think that slikely very different than a crap load of just irish moss being thrown in....IMO

I was under the impression that whirlfloc is just powdered irish moss and binders.
Carrageenan is the active component of raw irish moss.

so end of the day its concentrated..1 whirlfloc tablet  = loads of raw irish moss :o

Offline 69franx

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 12:27:14 PM »
And now that you mention it, the fermenter default in beersmith was for yeast nutrient, not Irish moss. Just had to check my notes, thanks for the heads up

Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Conditioning:
In Bottles: Split Open And Melt RIS, My first Cider,  BCS Dunkel, Denny's BVIP, Simple Saison, Bock Me traditional Bock, Nothing Special About It (ordinary, now Special Bitter)
In the works: House IPA, You're my Hero Hazelnut Double Brown, Ringler Pilsner from Ron Price recipe in the wiki, "Barky Pilsner" also from wi

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 12:32:47 PM »
And now that you mention it, the fermenter default in beersmith was for yeast nutrient, not Irish moss. Just had to check my notes, thanks for the heads up

I add that to the boil as well  ::)

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 12:36:10 PM »

I add that to the boil as well  ::)

+1. I add both @ 10 minutes left.
Jon H.

Offline case thrower

• Cellarman
  • NE Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »
No offense taken, Denny.  I'll put it like this.  I'm a much better drinker than brewer, so it could be either me or my brewing or, with my luck, a combination of the two.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is alway near.

Offline 69franx

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 01:47:41 PM »
Thanks Jonathan, your similar post on my recipe a couple months back convinced me to add to the boil. Why add another oxidation point just 3 days in...

Frank Laske
Franx Brew Works
Conditioning:

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 06:11:10 PM »
This seems true.

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 08:07:48 AM »
One other side question...so initially the fermenters looked like a science project but after I oxygenated them (shook the hell out of them) that big globular stuff is gone. Will the whirfloc gather up the proteins again at some point? There is a large amount of traub at the bottom already after only 48 hours, maybe this is why?

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 08:08:49 AM »
One other side question...so initially the fermenters looked like a science project but after I oxygenated them (shook the hell out of them) that big globular stuff is gone. Will the whirfloc gather up the proteins again at some point? There is a large amount of traub at the bottom already after only 48 hours, maybe this is why?

it will settle out again. even without irish moss it will settle out eventually.

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »
Just a follow up on this earlier post...bottled this beer today and wholly moly! First time I've used an irish moss product and I cannot believe how crystal clear the beer is  ;D. Also, even though I used far too much Whirlfloc, I couldn't taste anything off from that.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2014, 06:07:18 PM »
Thanks guys. I was gonna ask how much Irish moss to use. I've been using too little. About a quarter sized pile in my palm for 10 gals. Gonna go to Mort's (Jonathan's) measurement.

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »
FWIW, I used about a half a tablet of Whirfloc for 2 gallons.

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2014, 06:33:57 PM »
I've noticed several posts on the H talking about B forum that seem to have the following: "Man, I forgot my Whirfloc. Am I boned?" Well, I have one tab I've been saving for the last ten or so beers. I haven't noticed a difference, so maybe I'll save it a little longer.

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2014, 07:23:05 PM »
FWIW, I used about a half a tablet of Whirfloc for 2 gallons.

I use one pill for 5 gallons and have never tasted it. I think a sack of pills is where the flavor threshold is.