Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Introducing the AHA Research & Education Fund (R&EF)  (Read 8125 times)

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
Introducing the AHA Research & Education Fund (R&EF)
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:43:33 pm »
Many American Homebrewers Association (AHA) members and clubs already base activities and brew sessions around learning about various aspects of the brewing process—and the AHA wants to help you continue and improve your projects through the Research & Education Fund (R&EF).

Potential funding is now available for AHA members seeking to do research that can be shared with the AHA membership. This research could involve anything and everything including ingredients, temperature rests, fermentation characteristics or even how to build a better mousetrap.

AHA members should submit a Research & Education Fund Proposal to apply for assistance with their research. Members will be asked to identify their concept and provide a budget request.

Get the full details on the Research & Education Fund, including how to submit your proposal.

Cheers!
Duncan
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline Crispy275

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Introducing the AHA Research & Education Fund (R&EF)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 11:32:12 am »
Well, it hasn't even been a full month since the announcement of the launch of Research & Educational Fund, and we have already received several requests. These cover the gamet of water chemistry and its effects on mead production, cask ale production research, a cider experiment and a proposal involving hop cultivation.

Each proposal is being spearheaded by a specific coach. Coaches are members of the R&EF sub-committee (http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/membership/aha-governing-committee), and they are responsible for communicating with the applicant from start to finish. Coaches will ensure that requests employ good scientific methodology, answer any questions and provide appropriate feedback.

The initial proposals are creating the opportunity for the sub-committee team to build and structure a better mousetrap as we go along. Some of the early proposals are very broad, and part of the coaches responsibilities include helping members narrow down proposals focus to ensure the greatest possibility of successful outcomes.

These are exciting times for the AHA, and the R&EF is a terrific member benefit. As these proposals grow into outcomes, the results will be shared with AHA members through the Forum, at conferences and possibly even in Zymurgy. We hope to see many more well thought out requests and sharing the results when they come in!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:58:20 am by Crispy275 »
Chris P. Frey, aka "Crispy"
Mountain Ale & Lager Tasters MALT)
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild (AABG)
Fermental Order of Renaissance Draughtsmen (FORD)

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:20:00 am »
Crispy posted information about the Research & Education Fund's first completed research here: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=16539.0

Members can log in and download the "Cider Yeast Comparison" report here: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/scholarships-grants/research-and-education-fund/completed-research

And don't forget to submit a proposal if you and/or your club has a great idea for homebrew research!

Cheers,
Duncan
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline ruddyscot

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 06:56:59 pm »
Dear Sirs,

I regret that my first post is not a positive one, however, it seems to me that some RESEARCH and perhaps some EDUCATION can be directed to whomever is not keeping up with things.

I wanted - still want -- information on the National Homebrew day, but that forum's last post is 2011.  NOT current.
So here I am, teaching a Basic Brewing class at the local comm. college, and it's our last day soon:  How fortuitous that we could end on Nat'l  Homebrew Day, in my driveway, all brewing together. . . . . .  except everything  information-wise is dated.

Perhaps he "dated" thing is simply me, however three of us could not find updated information.  Anything you could provide me with -- directions?  instructions?  a beer?   would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time
Ruddyscot

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 06:09:17 am »

I wanted - still want -- information on the National Homebrew day, but that forum's last post is 2011.  NOT current.
So here I am, teaching a Basic Brewing class at the local comm. college, and it's our last day soon:  How fortuitous that we could end on Nat'l  Homebrew Day, in my driveway, all brewing together. . . . . .  except everything  information-wise is dated.

Perhaps he "dated" thing is simply me, however three of us could not find updated information.  Anything you could provide me with -- directions?  instructions?  a beer?   would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time
Ruddyscot

Are you referring to these:

Learn to Homebrew Day - November 3, 2013
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/events/learn-to-homebrew-day

Big Brew Day for National Homebrew Day - May 3, 2014
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/events/national-homebrew-day
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 01:10:21 pm »
I'm getting ready to submit a proposal for studying how temperature and pitch rates impact esters and attenuation in a classic Saison pitched with WLP 565. Fingers crossed it gets blessed!