Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops IBU's & Flameout  (Read 1515 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Hops IBU's & Flameout
« on: March 19, 2014, 04:38:12 pm »
A few questions...

Is flameout the same as steeping/whirlpool as it relates to BeerSmith (extract brewing)?

For planning IBU's during a recipe, I assumed that there was no increase in IBU's if hops were added during this stage. BeerSmith shows an increase in IBU's.

Finally, (getting technical here) for planning IBUs, would the flameout time be before I started to cool down the wort?

Thanks for any clarification.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Hops IBU's & Flameout
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 04:40:14 pm »
steeping/whirlpool implies that you will leave the hops there before chilling. flameout implies you will add the hops and immediately begin chilling.

Either way will add some IBU. how many is hard to say.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hops IBU's & Flameout
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 04:45:58 pm »
A few questions...

Is flameout the same as steeping/whirlpool as it relates to BeerSmith (extract brewing)?
For planning IBU's during a recipe, I assumed that there was no increase in IBU's if hops were added during this stage. BeerSmith shows an increase in IBU's.

Thanks for any clarification.

No, they are not the same in terms of software IBU calculation. Flameout additions do not affect IBUs to any big degree if you chill the wort to pitching temps quickly - this is the goal in this case.
However, with a steeping/whirlpool/hop stand addition,  you deliberately delay cooling to pitching temps so that you can extract extra hop aroma/flavor from these hops. Along the way this will increase your IBUs some, depending on time and temperature of this addition.
So, try to separate 'flameout' from 'steeping/hop stand' terminology in terms of Beersmith (or other) software.
Jon H.