Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg... "Logistics"  (Read 2645 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Keg... "Logistics"
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:14:11 am »
Hey all, I have a question.  Currently my keg fridge is only big enough for one keg and a CO2 tank ($40 craigslist find).  I am OK with this, but my wife and I are throwing a party in May, and of course I am making the beer.  I am OK with bottling one batch and kegging the other, but if I can use both of my kegs that would be even better. 

If I carbonate one keg in my fridge then move it to say a 60-68 degree room whilst the other keg carbonates for a week, is that going to cause some issues with the carbonation in the first keg?  Serving I'm not worried about because the kegs will be in a tub of ice. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Keg... "Logistics"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:20:42 am »
You will be fine carbing and let it get warm. Make sure it is good and cold before you tap it or you will be pouring lots of foam.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:35:16 am »
If you could find some way to ice it down to completely chill the keg approx 24 hours before serving- that'd place you in an optimal position. I've kept beer cold for a long time just by swaddling the keg in heavy blankets and sleeping bags.

Otherwise it won't hurt the beer to let it get room temp. But it is easier to keep a cold keg cold in your situation, rather than have to rechill a keg.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 11:53:33 am »
Thanks for the replies. 

I may be able to go the blanket/swamp cooler route as well and keep the first keg cool, but if It won't hurt the beer I can easily get it on ice at least 24 hours before.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 02:18:48 am »
More important, what can be done to fit both in the fridge?

My two keg kegerator is a mini fridge. I had to remove the inside plastic liner from the door. I used some aluminum strap to build reinforcement for the magnetic strip, and carved a bit of the insulation foam in the door. I took a box knife and cut the plastic liner inside the fridge and carved some foam there too. Just where needed to squeeze in two kegs. Now two kegs and a five pound CO2 bottle fit nicely.

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:03:54 am »
I'd have to start by relocating the compressor.  I lose a lot of space because of the lip it puts in the back of the fridge.  It's just something I don't want to delve into just yet.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 10:19:23 am »
I'd have to start by relocating the compressor.  I lose a lot of space because of the lip it puts in the back of the fridge.  It's just something I don't want to delve into just yet.

if the bottom of the fridge was even with the compressor hump would there still be room for the kegs?

My keg fridge has a comressor hump and the former owner built a little platform out of wood that makes the floor level with the top of the compressor.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:41:42 am »

if the bottom of the fridge was even with the compressor hump would there still be room for the kegs?

My keg fridge has a comressor hump and the former owner built a little platform out of wood that makes the floor level with the top of the compressor.

I did think of that, but I think it's too high up.  Although, I may be able to remove the light fixture that's inside.  I will look into this.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 10:45:01 am »
I use the compressor hump to lay 2 kegs on their side, behind the serving kegs, for lagering.  I stack one keg on top of the other.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 02:09:35 pm »

I was able to do this with mine.  Now I can fit two kegs and my conical at the same time (I put the CO2 outside the fridge just under the drip tray).
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 07:37:34 pm »
Have we switched to regular fridge size already off the OP? :o Anyway, I could only lay a keg sideways in my regular 21"After measuring I think 12 kegs will fit in my fridge with no modification if they are laid on their sides facing the door. Still don't have the real lagering capacity, and there's a bottleneck. Makes me want to shop for fridges.

Modifications are fine and dandy if one has no plans to sell something like a small fridge, but plans change. That's always a factor with this hobby. The answer is to buy a bigger fridge... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis