Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dissent with Style  (Read 10182 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Dissent with Style
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2014, 12:50:16 pm »

Ahhhh. Brewery A forced to bend its principles at last... You know I can't see why both of those styles couldn't be emulated by using lager yeast. Yeah here is our IPA (hopfen-weisse) and our Dry Stout (ultra dark lager). But I see the point of the whole situation.

New and younger owners

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2014, 12:52:08 pm »
If a proper pitch of yeast without a started costs us about $15, imagine what it costs somebody with a 30bbl system.

15bbl pitchable ~ $250.  i don't know about it taking several batches to recoup that cost, but its certainly expensive enough to make trading attractive, and repitching A LOT, a must.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2014, 01:40:22 pm »

Ahhhh. Brewery A forced to bend its principles at last... You know I can't see why both of those styles couldn't be emulated by using lager yeast. Yeah here is our IPA (hopfen-weisse) and our Dry Stout (ultra dark lager). But I see the point of the whole situation.

New and younger owners

who have begun to use their lager yeast (WLP German Lager yeast) for their ales as it happens.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2014, 04:15:52 pm »
I've never thought that. Though many breweries have a 'house character' that is probably a combination of house yeast and some habitual recipe choices.

Maybe that's it. I can't even drink any SA without getting irritated. They have a lot of "different" beers that taste a lot the same to me. I just avoid it altogether now.
It's probably true at least in part. A large brewery like that has contracts on malt, hops, and a house yeast. So it's far easier to use those for new recipes than get new maltsters. Sometimes they are sketchy about new yeast varieties due to contamination concerns. For instance, Ommegang uses one yeast for every beer they make. Any differences are from spicing.
When you have silos full of a base NA 2row, and one crystal malt, you tend to build on those.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2014, 04:22:44 pm »
So the term "all" is used loosely by these folks? I'm not sure I understand the why of it.

Brewery A was a traditional German lager brewery (moving away from that recently) with a restaurant attached. Must have an IPA and Stout on tap at the restaurant so they brewed those infrequently on their smaller (14bbl?) system and "borrowed" yeast. Those beers were restaurant only with some keg sales. Brewery B brews ales primarily, with the occasional lager, dunkel or maibock. Win-win.

If a proper pitch of yeast without a started costs us about $15, imagine what it costs somebody with a 30bbl system.

Are you really paying $7.50 a smack pack?  Wow, I guess it's good to live close to Portland. My LHBS's retail price is $5.50. 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2014, 05:06:09 pm »
Are you really paying $7.50 a smack pack?  Wow, I guess it's good to live close to Portland. My LHBS's retail price is $5.50.

Yep -- http://www.homebrewhq.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=1378 -or- https://www.finevinewines.com/Z_ProdListMain.asp

Don't even get me started on Malt prices out here. All I will say is it would take a lot of sacks to pay for a grain mill.

Used to pay ~5.99 in Northern CA.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2014, 05:19:42 pm »
So the term "all" is used loosely by these folks? I'm not sure I understand the why of it.

Brewery A was a traditional German lager brewery (moving away from that recently) with a restaurant attached. Must have an IPA and Stout on tap at the restaurant so they brewed those infrequently on their smaller (14bbl?) system and "borrowed" yeast. Those beers were restaurant only with some keg sales. Brewery B brews ales primarily, with the occasional lager, dunkel or maibock. Win-win.

I pay $4 for dry yeasts.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2014, 08:59:49 am »

Yep -- http://www.homebrewhq.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=1378 -or- https://www.finevinewines.com/Z_ProdListMain.asp

Don't even get me started on Malt prices out here. All I will say is it would take a lot of sacks to pay for a grain mill.

Used to pay ~5.99 in Northern CA.

That's brutal.

http://www.olybrew.com/

Offline Stevie

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2014, 09:29:11 am »
I pay $4 for dry yeasts.

I have started moving away from 001/1056 in favor of US-05. No starter and cheaper.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2014, 09:34:24 am »
I pay $4 for dry yeasts.

I have started moving away from 001/1056 in favor of US-05. No starter and cheaper.

I save my slurries and reuse them for as long as possible.  By the fourth or fifth batch, it's getting close the $1 per batch.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2014, 10:14:55 am »
I pay $4 for dry yeasts.

IMO and testing, 05 doesn't give me as clean a beer as 1056.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2014, 10:31:06 am »
I pay $4 for dry yeasts.

I save my slurries and reuse them for as long as possible.  By the fourth or fifth batch, it's getting close the $1 per batch.

But with us-05 it becomes $0.25 per batch  :o
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2014, 11:26:34 am »

It's got nothing to do with distance to Wyeast Mic, we typically pay $7.50 on this side of the sound.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2014, 02:47:37 pm »
Well, then I guess it's good live in the boonies!   :) :)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2014, 03:14:52 pm »
I think I pay $7 and my LHBS is about 25 miles from the plant.