Author Topic: Dissent with Style  (Read 2337 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Dissent with Style
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 12:54:43 PM »

Whitewater IPA...
Wheat ale brewed with apricots and spices

Yeah, 'IPA' is evidently getting to be a loose term to Jim Koch. Tried the new Rebel IPA last week. It was fresh - smelled and tasted like a Pale Ale at best.

I've been drinking a lot of the Rebel as of late.  I like it.  But, you're certainly right that it's not the hoppiest beer around. 

Offline blatz

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 01:07:36 PM »
Rebel is 45 ibus, 6.5% so that may explain the lower hop perception to a degree.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 02:26:05 PM »
Rebel is 45 ibus, 6.5% so that may explain the lower hop perception to a degree.

Yeah, that gives it a BU:GU of ~ .69  .  Pretty pale ale-ish. And I love APA - it's a great style.  Just thrown by the West Coast IPA sales pitch. Having said all that, it's not a bad tasting beer.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 07:30:33 PM »
I drank one in Houston at the southwest terminal. They have the worst beer concessions there. :(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Online Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 06:19:44 AM »

Yeah, that gives it a BU:GU of ~ .69  .  Pretty pale ale-ish. And I love APA - it's a great style.  Just thrown by the West Coast IPA sales pitch. Having said all that, it's not a bad tasting beer.
I had the same debate over one of my beer I entered in competition. I brewed it as an IPA and it's numbers are similar. It's right in the middle of the IPA style for abv and IBU, but the bitterness was very gentle. It's also at the high end for pale ale, because there is overlap. I decided it would do better as a pale ale.

But like I said, restrained bitterness is my impression of west coast IPA too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 06:55:52 AM »
I drank one in Houston at the southwest terminal. They have the worst beer concessions there. :(

You can only say that because you didn't go through DFW.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »
OMG it's worse in DFW?!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 09:49:25 AM »

WHAT??????
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 10:24:39 AM »

WHAT??????

That was my thought, Denny. Now granted my sample size was restricted to California and not the PNW, but I took a trip out West a few years back and tried alot of the high profile beers out there - Alpine, Ballast Point, Stone, Bear Republic, Russian River, etc. - and found them to be among the hoppiest ( and best) I ever had.... by far. Bitterness on those IPAs was moderately high to melt your face. And I know not every brewery in the western states makes beers that way, but my impression was that a lot do. They're definitely not scared of hops at those breweries. Those are actually the IPAs I try to emulate today.
Jon H.

Offline Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 10:25:49 AM »

OMG it's worse in DFW?!

Dfw sucks but for one terminal. I am convinced that the airport purposely schedules all the layovers at that terminal so people think it is a nice airport.
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »
That was my thought, Denny. Now granted my sample size was restricted to California and not the PNW, but I took a trip out West a few years back and tried alot of the high profile beers out there - Alpine, Ballast Point, Stone, Bear Republic, Russian River, etc. - and found them to be among the hoppiest ( and best) I ever had.... by far. Bitterness on those IPAs was moderately high to melt your face. And I know not every brewery in the western states makes beers that way, but my impression was that a lot do. They're definitely not scared of hops at those breweries. Those are actually the IPAs I try to emulate today.

Did I misunderstand you?  I thought you were saying that west coast beers weren't hoppy.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 11:03:23 AM »

Did I misunderstand you?  I thought you were saying that west coast beers weren't hoppy.

I was saying that SA new Rebel IPA, which passes itself off as a 'West Coast IPA', isn't very hoppy at all, after actually trying West Coast beers that clearly are.
Jon H.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »
...Yeah, 'IPA' is evidently getting to be a loose term to Jim Koch. Tried the new Rebel IPA last week. It was fresh - smelled and tasted like a Pale Ale at best.

Oh, I don't know...IPA has become a pretty loose term in general in the USA.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 11:49:19 AM »
I was saying that SA new Rebel IPA, which passes itself off as a 'West Coast IPA', isn't very hoppy at all, after actually trying West Coast beers that clearly are.

Got it now!  Thanks!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 11:50:24 AM »
...Yeah, 'IPA' is evidently getting to be a loose term to Jim Koch. Tried the new Rebel IPA last week. It was fresh - smelled and tasted like a Pale Ale at best.

Oh, I don't know...IPA has become a pretty loose term in general in the USA.

www.dennybrew.com