Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: strawberry milk chocolate stout  (Read 4667 times)

Offline geek_chaser

• Cellarman
strawberry milk chocolate stout
« on: March 20, 2014, 07:06:46 am »
Hey guys. so I did a strawberry Milk chocolate stout, partial mash, and i used 3 lbs of strawberries. i froze them before hand, then i added them to the boil at the last 15 minutes. they are now sitting in the primary. i didnt taste much strawberry when i tasted the wort, and i was wondering if the flavor is going to be more prominate from sitting in the primary or am i going to have to add extract? my goal is to avoid extract if i can. i believe extract flavors taste weird or can be over powering.
Dont sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: strawberry milk chocolate stout
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:12:11 am »
Probably not. Strawberry doesn't come through very well unless you keep a lot of sugar behind in the beer and that normally requires halting fermentation before adding the strawberries and force carbonating.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:25:57 am »
you can also add more berries instead of extract. I have not brewed with strawberries and they are a pretty subtle flavor. if primary is pretty much done try adding another few lbs in the fermenter.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 08:47:29 am »
I have a hard time getting enough strawberry flavor in a Melomel with multiple additions in both primary and secondary - I can only imagine how difficult it would be in a stout.

I think one of the issues in this beer is that acidity is what helps bring out the strawberry, but at the same time it mutes the roast in the stout. It's going to be tough to find the right balance.

And I'd say you need at least 2-4 times the amount of strawberries you used to get a noticeable strawberry flavor. You could try adding more in secondary, but this is one of the cases where I might suggest a good quality extract may be a better choice.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:36:07 am »
I'd agree that three pounds probably isn't enough. But also in unfermented wort I think malt sugar will quickly overpower the berries.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 10:44:51 am »
Different schools of thought with fruit, but boiling any fruit for 15 minutes will drive off most of the fruit's aroma, as will adding to primary fermentation.  If you ever brew it again, I would add the thawed fruit (or puree) to a secondary fermenter and rack your beer on top of the fruit. I think you'll notice a big difference.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 11:13:57 am »
Different schools of thought with fruit, but boiling any fruit for 15 minutes will drive off most of the fruit's aroma, as will adding to primary fermentation.  If you ever brew it again, I would add the thawed fruit (or puree) to a secondary fermenter and rack your beer on top of the fruit. I think you'll notice a big difference.

Not such a big deal with strawberries (or in a stout, for that matter), but boiling any fruit that contains a significant amount of pectin can lead to pectin haze in your beer as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 11:29:25 am »

Not such a big deal with strawberries (or in a stout, for that matter), but boiling any fruit that contains a significant amount of pectin can lead to pectin haze in your beer as well.

.....and that !  Good call.
Jon H.

Offline geek_chaser

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 07:19:23 am »
wow. thanks guys. thats what i was afraid of. i guess its time to start looking for a good extract
Dont sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 08:34:54 am »
I've only used a fruit extract once and while it was very chemical tasting at first after several months it mellowed into something decent. If you're willing to wait it out you might be happy with the beer.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 09:55:49 am »
I've only used a fruit extract once and while it was very chemical tasting at first after several months it mellowed into something decent. If you're willing to wait it out you might be happy with the beer.

Maybe it was the particular extract you bought.  I've had no problem with the ones I've used.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 11:44:58 pm »

Maybe it was the particular extract you bought.  I've had no problem with the ones I've used.
Is there a brand you would recommend?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 10:00:55 am »

Yeah, but I can't remember what it was!  It was many years ago and my memory is fading...
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 10:36:58 am »
I'd definitely avoid the Brewer's Best extract/flavorings. I used one of their cherry extracts once (and one of their other flavors a different time), because I'd heard that some breweries add it at kegging/bottling to reinforce aroma and flavor. It turned a real tasting cherry beer (I'd added Oregon to secondary) into something more like the fake, nasty cough syrup thing you get from SA Cherry Wheat. Nasty. Can't speak for any of the other brands.
Jon H.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 11:17:46 pm »

Yeah, but I can't remember what it was!  It was many years ago and my memory is fading...
In other words, no? :)
Tom Schmidlin