Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Twice, but never again  (Read 3360 times)

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Twice, but never again
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 01:11:25 pm »
i take my chances. then when i taste the finished product i try to guess which steps i forgot 8)
Don AHA member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 01:20:02 pm »
i take my chances. then when i taste the finished product i try to guess which steps i forgot 8)

it's a fun new game!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 04:11:49 pm »
I have several digital ways to time things from stop watches to brew software, but the old fashioned wind timer is the most convenient. I've tested accuracy and it goes off within seconds of the digital. But I'm pretty sure I won't forget whirlfloc and nutrient again.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 03:18:15 pm »
Two weeks ago at flameout I remembered that I had forgotten to add whirfloc and Wyeast nutrient.  Luckily, I was doing a 45-minute hop stand without additional pre-cooling of the wort, so I just added them at flameout, and as per my hop stand procedure, stirred every few minutes.  There was plenty of time for them to incorporate and be pasteurized/sterilized.

I kegged/started the dry-hop last night and the beer tasted great, and had no problem fermenting.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 04:54:11 pm »
Dude. I'm sure your beer will be just fine. In fact from now on I'll eschew these irritating little additions and encourage you to do the same. I just don't think they do that much.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis