Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Drinking Only Homebrews  (Read 7053 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Drinking Only Homebrews
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 09:21:04 am »
I probably drink 90% homebrew when I have enough variety, but if I am forced to go a long time without brewing or I've only got 3 or 4 different beers on tap I drink store bought.  I also ask the people I hire from around the country to bring me a couple of sixers of their favorite local beer(I pay generously for it) so I get to try stuff I'll probably never run across otherwise.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 02:41:27 pm »
Spectacular idea! Help wanted: highly paid position, for talented people fromfamous beer making cities. Send one page resume along with a dozen of your favorite bombers.

fistfullofhops

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 05:44:21 pm »
Probably 25% homebrew, 75% micros here. I am the definition of ADD. I'll have a batch of homebrew I like and after 6 or 8 bottles I'm on to something different. I end up giving away most of my homebrew.

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 06:45:51 pm »
I have found myself brewing less American,  British,  and Scottish styles,  since I can drink fresh craft brewed ales at almost every pub and taproom  I brew and drink lots of lagers and Belgians, as where I live, finding good versions of those on tap is difficult.

I don't ever see myself ever drinking only home brew, as I like going to bars too much. I do find myself going less and less to the fine beer store, though, and very rarely ever get a growler filled.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Same here. Lately, I've noticed when I got out, there's almost nothing on tap that I want. Hard to imagine a place not having a good oatmeal stout, hefeweizen, schwarzbier, helles, pilsner, pale ale, vienna lager, dunkel, or a porter, is it? Well, it is. Anything we have is either an IPA, Belgian, or commercial lager. But the only place I really go out any more in a nice little pub & restaurant that has Weihenstephaner hefe and Fuller's London Porter. All anyone wants anymore is IPAs and imperial stouts.
I drink mostly homebrew, but buy some here and there, and go out once a week maybe for a few. But most of my drinking is homebrew at home.

I totally agree.  I'm tired of seeing 10 taps with 7 IPAs, BMC, BMC Lite, and Blue Moon.  It seems like nobody cares about any other style.  I don't blame the bars/restaurants, though.  From the bartenders and owners I've talked to, they blow through kegs of IPA in no time, and other stuff doesn't tend to move. 

It's funny. We've gone from no beer choices (nothing but BMC products everywhere) to a bunch of craft beers available in many places... but all we've seemed to do is add IPA to the old BMC lineup.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 07:56:14 pm »
You said it. Although, I was out to dinner last night at a fancier Mexican restaurant, wasn't planning on drinking at all, but was surprised to see that they had North Coast Scrimshaw on tap. I said, hell yes! Gimme one of those. That was a rarity right there.
Jesse

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 08:33:41 am »
I'm not a huge fan of IPA's anymore. Seems to me there is much more interesting beer around than one whose main claim to fame is an overdose of hops. Regardless, IPA's are everywhere and people are gulping them down like they are going out of style... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 10:06:30 am »
Mostly homebrew at our house. We do like to go out, and there is a nice multitap restaurant walking distance from our house. We went last night for some Bells Quiannanon Falls Special lager, which is a tasty 6.5% lager that uses American hops. Simcoe is used to dry hop it, but it is not so heavy handed that Mrs. R says "cat pee". One of the few Simcoe beers that she likes.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 10:33:36 am »
I enjoy my homebrew by and large, but I've always got my eagle eye on the lookout for any new commercial brands. We are not only amidst a craft beer renaissance of sorts, but also enjoying one of the best times to be beer drinker in the history of mankind, there are plenty of new brands out there to try, and I'm willing to taste any of them once.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:39:27 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2014, 10:36:33 am »
I enjoy my homebrew by and large, but I've always got my eagle eye on the lookout for any new commercial brands. We are not only amidst a craft beer renaissance of sorts, but also enjoying one of the best times to be beer drinker in the history of mankind, there are plenty of new brands out there to try, and I'm willing to any of them once.

This ↑↑↑
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2014, 10:48:21 am »
I enjoy my homebrew by and large, but I've always got my eagle eye on the lookout for any new commercial brands. We are not only amidst a craft beer renaissance of sorts, but also enjoying one of the best times to be beer drinker in the history of mankind, there are plenty of new brands out there to try, and I'm willing to taste any of them once.

+1

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Multifaceted

• Cellarman
  • Jerk of All Trades
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2014, 10:55:43 am »
It's about 55-60% of my beer intake is in homebrew. I brew at least twice per month, but I haven't the room nor funds for a kegging setup, so I bottle and the extra wait time 3-4 weeks often doesn't finish in time before my last batch has run out... also, I like trying new stuff and revisit favorite beers.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 11:54:59 am »
I drink mostly my own beer when home, but I always keep my eye open for something new and a group of us does a case buy 4 times a year.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2014, 12:07:37 pm »

Yes. 

I probably drink 50/50 homebrew/commercial.   I like to experiment, and with only 1.5 years of brewing my own under my belt, about half the time the beer is not what I hoped.  I've never made a bad or flawed beer, but I have perfectionist tendencies. 

I also tend to give commercial beers more grace than mine.  I assume they produced exactly the beer they intended, so I'm just tasting what someone else's bullseye is.  For example I brewed a Brown ale a few months back.  It was OK.  My wife liked it.  Then I tried a side-by-side with Moose Drool - it was almost indistinguishable! 

I have an IPA on tap right now that is languishing for that very reason - nothing wrong with it, it just isn't what I want.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2014, 12:24:03 pm »
My friend with the discerning palate asked me if my last pale ale was Bass ale a number of times. That floored me because my opinion of the batch is less complementary. ;D But it is very drinkable compared to what I was brewing years ago.

Cutting out commercial brews is also a reaction to the prices. Anything actually imported- particularly from the Eurozone is crazy expensive and travel damaged. I'm seeing a lot more obscure domestic and local beer as the new craft breweries are coming on line. They ain't cheap either folks.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2014, 12:29:18 pm »
My friend with the discerning palate asked me if my last pale ale was Bass ale a number of times. That floored me because my opinion of the batch is less complementary. ;D But it is very drinkable compared to what I was brewing years ago.

Cutting out commercial brews is also a reaction to the prices. Anything actually imported- particularly from the Eurozone is crazy expensive and travel damaged. I'm seeing a lot more obscure domestic and local beer as the new craft breweries are coming on line. They ain't cheap either folks.
This is why I brew a lot of German lagers. The ones we get aren't at all fresh and there isn't much for good German style lagers brewed in the US. All I see at bars are IPAs, Belgians, and commercial lager. Nothing I'm after.
Jesse