Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: honey malt revisited...  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
honey malt revisited...
« on: March 14, 2014, 11:46:07 am »
I better understand those opinions to use honey malt with restraint...

I have always thought that I liked honey malt but never used it for more than 5% of any recipe. I have slowly been pushing the amounts up so that I can better identify it in the finished beers. I was never like, 'oh that's the honey malt'. My most recent blonde ale has about 7% honey malt and it is very noticeable. My fermenting pale ale has 9% but I think it will be okay since it will be balanced out by the hops.

I like the idea of a honey sweetness but it really seems to impart a lot of malty character as well. I would describe it as a mix between dark munich and crystal malt, at least that is how it makes sense in my head. For this beer in particular, it is too much. In the past, this blonde ale was a great sessionable/summer type beer. This version is definitely more full flavored and almost heavy tasting although it finished at 1.009. Sometimes my palate is a bit off and another tasting may uncover different impressions (I am hoping at least). At this point, I will likely reduce the amount in future batches or replace it with light crystal malt.

It is taking me a long time but I am slowly starting to understand how certain grains affect a finished beer. I may have gone overboard with my use of honey malt but at least I really know what it does when before I wasn't quite sure.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: honey malt revisited...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:18:34 pm »
I find that I learn more from my mistakes than my successes.  I applaud your sense of experimentation!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 12:22:50 pm »
Haha yeah I am definitely learning more from my frequent mistakes than anything else. For this batch I also decided to add the lime zest and lemongrass after fermentation was complete instead of at the end of the boil. It is a completely different character but not necessarily in a good way. The lemongrass has a 'perfumy' thing going on that is strange. I either used too much (same amount as prior late kettle additions) or let it sit in the beer for too long.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:25:20 pm by goschman »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 01:28:26 pm »
I find that I learn more from my mistakes than my successes. 

^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 02:39:56 pm »
Having another taste now. It isn't as bad as I initially thought but the flavors do clash a bit. Next batch I think I just need to drop the amount of honey malt and the lemongrass a bit.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 03:00:15 pm »
Haha yeah I am definitely learning more from my frequent mistakes than anything else. For this batch I also decided to add the lime zest and lemongrass after fermentation was complete instead of at the end of the boil. It is a completely different character but not necessarily in a good way. The lemongrass has a 'perfumy' thing going on that is strange. I either used too much (same amount as prior late kettle additions) or let it sit in the beer for too long.

Next time dry hopping with an ounce or two of Motueka instead. It has a similar flavor, but its not as perfumy as using the fresh herbs.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 04:44:44 pm »

Next time dry hopping with an ounce or two of Motueka instead. It has a similar flavor, but its not as perfumy as using the fresh herbs.

Thanks for the advice. I use Centennial throughout and had contemplated a small dry hop addition of that as well...

Offline dunngood

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 03:40:30 pm »
It has been my experience that Honey Malt and Biscuit Malt are way different if you steep them or mash them.