Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wet vs. Dry Yeast  (Read 1501 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Wet vs. Dry Yeast
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:02:48 am »
My little one gallon batches are going bezerk with a split pack of Wyeast 1056 that I shared among the two gallons. I've never seen this much activity before with dry yeast. Is wet yeast always going to give more activity over dry?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Wet vs. Dry Yeast
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 10:45:19 am »
Nope, not necessarily.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 12:13:19 pm »
What he said.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 02:16:03 pm »
To give a bit more detail, it depends on a lot of factors. Pitching rate, health of yeast, whether you made a starter, gravity of the wort, etc. Sometimes a Wyeast smack pack tends to get a good head start if you smacked it a few hours prior, but not always.

It's more than simply wet vs dry yeast, although that can be one factor.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 04:26:40 pm »
Is there a comparison of wet vs dry for all or most of the dry yeast offerings? not meaning to hijack the thread but, my most recent starter did not start and I had some dry to fall back on, which made me wonder, why not just use the dry? In this case I was suspecting warm conditions in shipping so, dry yeast stores longer, arrives safe, if the reault is just as good,.....
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 04:32:42 pm »
But there is a lot more variety in liquid.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell