Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low to no carbonation  (Read 1155 times)

Offline chuckc1

• 1st Kit
Low to no carbonation
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:47:00 am »
Hi all, I am having an issue I cannot seem to resolve on my own by continuous reading. I am a newbie and I bottled my 3rd batch 14 days ago, a Cincinnati Pale Ale. This was a 2.5 gal extract brew. I used unhopped extract to experiment with bitterness and flavoring. I fermented with Nottingham dry yeast. I re-hydrated the yeast before pitching. I fermented on the trub for 6 days @ 70-degrees. There was no activity from the airlock and I racked to the secondary and left it there for 10 days @ 70-degrees. There was considerable sediment in the secondary after racking. I then racked to a bottling bucket but I used carb drops instead of sugar for bottling. I left the bottles to carbonate at the same temps before I moved to the fridge yesterday. The bottles seemed to be hardened from carbonation. I let my impatience get me and after a few hours, I popped a top. I did get a pish when I removed the cap. However, once again, no head at all. Third batch with the same result, no head! What am I doing wrong? If I tell the wife I need more money to keg, do any of you have a spare room?
Thanks

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Low to no carbonation
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:21:05 am »
Just bring them out of the refrigerator and let them carbonate at room temperature for another week, maybe 10 days, and then they should be fine.  You're just eager, understandably, and need a little more patience.  Yeast is alive and works on its own time, not on human time.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 07:47:12 am »
+1. I think it will be fine if you give it more time @ room temp. Another week or two and full carbonation (and head) should be there, assuming you used enough priming sugar.
Jon H.

Offline chuckc1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 11:43:10 am »
Thanks for the responses. I used carbonation drops and I am thinking to go away from that and use the priming sugar. I removed the remaining bottles from the fridge and turned them over a couple of times. I read this in another posting as I was searching a solution.