Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Beer Judging Exam  (Read 6445 times)

S. cerevisiae

BJCP Beer Judging Exam
« on: March 22, 2014, 08:09:15 am »
How long does it take to receive BJCP Beer Judging Exam (a.k.a. the tasting exam) results?  I was able to take advantage of a last minute cancellation to find a seat at a tasting exam.  I made the mistake of scoring the same beer twice because I was taking a rest room break when a new beer was brought to my table.   I realized my error after the next beer was brought to my table.  I was able to re-score the problem beer, but doing so impacted the amount of time that I had to evaluate the beers that followed the mistake.  I believe that I passed the exam, but my "plan B" is to see if I can take it again at the NHC.   I was told that I should wait until I receive my results before retaking the exam.   Does the clock stop after one has passed the on-line exam and taken the tasting exam?  Barring cancellations, local BJCP Beer Judging Exams are booked for at least a year.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: BJCP Beer Judging Exam
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 08:43:23 am »
The typical time is currently 12-16 weeks, however it could be shorter or longer.

There is no downside to taking the exam again unless you feel you scored higher than 90. Based on your statements that is not the case.

You should take what you learned from the experience and apply it to your next exam. Getting up during the 90 minutes is a bad idea and as you discovered, you lose minutes you may need. There is some good discussion quite often on the BJCP forums http://forum.bjcp.org/ and the BJCP Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/groups/89455427728/

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 10:48:37 am »
The bathroom break did not kill me.  I finished scoring the previous beer in time to take it.  What caused me trouble was picking up the wrong beer after returning from the bathroom.   

I managed to complete all of my exam beer score sheets.  My totals were accurate, and I made sure that I checked all of the boxes that applied.  I caught all of the fermentation/handling/packaging flaws; however, I missed a style-related flaw that caused the proctors to score a beer much lower than I scored it. 

In the end, I am almost certain that I will score high enough to achieve "recognized" status.  It is very difficult to go from having no interest in becoming a judge to taking the judging exam in seven days.  I would not recommend this approach to anyone who is interested in becoming a beer judge.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:32:08 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:29:56 am »
Judging multiple times or filling out score sheets as you drink homebrew and commercial beers is great practice for the exam.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 08:51:35 pm »
I am glad that I took the time to score a few beers before taking the exam.  It definitely kept me from getting that deer-in-the-headlights feeling when the beer hit the table.   
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:53:53 pm by S. cerevisiae »

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 08:29:08 pm »
I received my BCJP ID this evening.   I am assuming that this assignment is merely an administrative task that occurs while a candidate is awaiting his/her exam results.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 08:55:42 pm »
As I understand it, ID's are assigned when you take the tasting exam. I met a guy who was given his ID at the exam but I didn't get mine until I got my grade. Probably depends on the exam director.

I got my grade after four months.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:54:43 am by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 08:19:38 am »
Just got my number. I don't expect a grade for another three months.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 02:37:40 pm »
I'm looking forward to my exam in September! My "study plan" is to learn at NHC Seattle, COHO, and by getting a case of world class examples from Freemont Station and practice evaluating them.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 03:56:50 pm »
I'm looking forward to my exam in September! My "study plan" is to learn at NHC Seattle, COHO, and by getting a case of world class examples from Freemont Station and practice evaluating them.

What is this "case of world class examples from Freemont Station" of which you write? Belmont Station?
I tried the google and came up empty.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 08:46:36 pm »
Ya maybe Belmont. Probably was thinking freemont bridge... And I don't know yet, hoping to get like one of each.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 07:01:53 am »
Typically the ID is assigned after the exams reach the ED. I think it is a spreadsheet nowadays so that could speed up the timing. Generally within a few weeks to a month of the exam. After the ID is sent AND the database updates the examinee can access their online record. The examinee will get their results via email and then via snail mail and once their rank shows in the online database they can order a badge.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 08:20:28 am »
Ya maybe Belmont. Probably was thinking freemont bridge... And I don't know yet, hoping to get like one of each.

That, you can definitely do at Belmont Station.  I'm actually stopping by tonight before BJCP class, have been doing what you mentioned although in waves. It's a lot of beer, and I'm usually getting a couple to share what I'm learning with the SO. Best homework ever.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 04:33:38 pm »

That, you can definitely do at Belmont Station.  I'm actually stopping by tonight before BJCP class, have been doing what you mentioned although in waves. It's a lot of beer, and I'm usually getting a couple to share what I'm learning with the SO. Best homework ever.

Im currently swamped with honey-dos but hoping to get down that way next month. Maybe we can hit the dragon and meet up.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 05:23:52 pm »

Im currently swamped with honey-dos but hoping to get down that way next month. Maybe we can hit the dragon and meet up.

That'd be great Jim! Let me know when you're  heading this way or just remember that I'm at the Dragon every Wednesday at 6 PM.  Cheers!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified