Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: diacetyl rest  (Read 3508 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: diacetyl rest
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 10:22:21 am »
Just curious - how do you perceive it to be?  I have heard from others that it is buttery tasting, or slick in the mouthfeel or even perceived as a bit of soap in the nose...is there a commercial example where it is prevalent to be able to know what I should be tasting or feeling?  I honestly think that I may be "blind" to it and wonder if there is a way to overcome the blind spot.  I am starting a BJCP class next week so I hope that I can make it through the various faults with enough sense to actually evaluate the beers to be judged.

go tot he store and get a bottle of imitation butter flavor in the spice aisle. this is diacetyl. you can then dose your beer of choice with tiny amounts and train your brain.

That's a good idea.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 04:07:10 pm »
I can't recall ever getting diacetyl from a red hook beer. Maybe it is an issue with their New Hampshire brewery. Do you get it from Widmer as well? I have tasted it in a kona beer once or twice.
red hook pilsner- loaded. haven't had it in 2 years but cant imagine its changed.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
diacetyl rest
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 12:56:08 pm »
In nyc and having a carlsberg Pilsner- diacetyl bomb if you want to know what it tastes like. My wife takes a sip and say"I don't like it tastes buttery" and she knows nothing about diacetyl.

Edit: yep sent it back and got an allagash white.... Much better.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:05:24 pm by wort-h.o.g. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 12:17:11 am »
For a Diacetyl you want to raise your temp just as your yeast growth starts to drop and when you are close to about 60% of your attenuation.

Offline YooperBrew

• Cellarman
  • Beer Geek
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 07:43:44 am »
Just curious - how do you perceive it to be?  I have heard from others that it is buttery tasting, or slick in the mouthfeel or even perceived as a bit of soap in the nose...is there a commercial example where it is prevalent to be able to know what I should be tasting or feeling?  I honestly think that I may be "blind" to it and wonder if there is a way to overcome the blind spot.  I am starting a BJCP class next week so I hope that I can make it through the various faults with enough sense to actually evaluate the beers to be judged.

I can taste diacetyl in most Sam Smiths beers. When judging I rely on the slick mouthfeel.

Some people are blind to it, I have a high threshold compared to many in the club. If you are blind to it, beyond the slick feel, not much you can do as it is like being color blind.

For some of my beers, I ask Mrs. R to taste for diacetyl as she is more sensitive to it.

I'm one of those "lucky(?)" people who can perceive diacetyl in minute amounts.  While it does help with judging, it makes enjoying some beers sort of difficult!

When it's in small amounts, it's more of a "slick" or oily mouthfeel.  There really isn't much of a taste there, but instead more of a texture if that makes sense.  In greater amounts, it has a bit of butter taste and in large amounts, it screams BUTTERSCOTCH at you. 

Since some people simply can't taste diacetyl, there are some funny looks sometimes when I say, "Ugggh, diacetyl!" and a friend of mine thinks I'm crazy!