Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Beer Judging Exam  (Read 6408 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: BJCP Beer Judging Exam
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 10:08:20 pm »
Will do.

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 07:13:40 am »
Does anyone know where I can go to take this practical exam??  I am
Willing to travel!!  The one in Fredrick, MD said I was 22nd on the waiting list!! 

I love in Milford, DE.

Thanks for any replies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 08:30:41 am »
Willing to travel!!  The one in Fredrick, MD said I was 22nd on the waiting list!! 

I love in Milford, DE.

Thanks for any replies!

Here is a list of currently scheduled exams.  http://www.bjcp.org/exams.php
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 09:19:43 am »
22nd on the waiting list for my exams in the past meant you would get a seat. The last exam I went through 26 and one douche decided not to show up leaving an empty seat. Some exams now have someone "on deck" in case of a no show. It could be a waste of time if they do show, but if they don't you get a seat.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 09:24:01 am »
There is always San Diego next year.... that's probably where I'll end up taking it.  Everything within three hours of me in booked for more than a year.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 09:45:50 am »
Thanks dkfick!  All these dates are all filled up!!! Also I send a few e-mails and no replies yet!  How do I host a test here where I live??  We have several qualified judges that I am sure could Procter.  Anyone know???

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 09:47:05 am »
The calendar does not indicate if the exams are full, only that the exam calendar is full. Read the statements at the top.

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 10:32:37 am »
Thanks MDixon.  I will try and blacker e-mail all of them and see who replies.  Frustrating to say the least!! 

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 03:40:14 pm »

Open judging exam seats in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia appear to be in short supply through this time next year.  Maryland will not have any open judging seats until at least March of 2016 because Bill and Jim were unable to schedule exams in 2015 due to the schedule being full.  While stranger things have happened, I seriously doubt that Bill will get very far into the waiting list for the September exam in Frederick due to the fact that everyone around here knows that it is a speak or hold your peace until at least March 2016 moment.  Plus, I am ahead of you! :)

Seriously though, your best bet is the exam in Pittsburgh in December. The waiting list for that exam was relatively short when I inquired.  You can forget about the exam in Philadelphia in November.  Aimee cut the waiting list off at 20 people.   I do not know about the exams in New York.  That's farther than I want to drive at this point in time.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 04:22:05 pm »
There is always San Diego next year.... that's probably where I'll end up taking it.  Everything within three hours of me in booked for more than a year.

I am assuming that you are are Pennsylvania.   If you are willing to drive to Pittsburgh, the waiting list was relatively short when I inquired.   Having to book a seat a year or more in advance is probably why there are so people who cancel at the last minute.   

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 09:57:15 am »
The reason people drop is they sign up for multiple exams since it is pretty far out and then when one materializes they drop. There are a handful who cannot pass the entrance exam and have to drop and then there are the people who do not show. When that happens I keep the exam fees and the deposit. I typically charge a $50 deposit for the seat and the exam is $40, so the dude who stood me up lost $90. I hope that taught that person a lesson!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 10:28:30 pm »
I hope that taught that person a lesson!

Ninety dollars is chicken feed in the grand scheme of things.  What I hope that person took away from the experience is that he cost someone else an opportunity to sit for the exam.   If he did not want to sit for the exam, the responsible thing to do would have been to contact you in time to allow someone else to sit for the exam. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:14:23 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 04:26:30 am »
Oh, it's much more than $90. You see the people giving the exam are probably judges in the program who know one another. In our area there are really four people. We talk. Someone can get blacklisted in a heartbeat for a no show. I did not do this in this instance, but the closest exam this person will ever find will be at least 2-3 hours away since they will never be allowed to sit for an exam I give and for the last 10 years or so I've been the only one giving them in this area.

When people have skin in the game they typically show up, and 90 beans is plenty of skin for most people. An easy litmus test to prove that is to place $90 on the table and walk away never to return. Until you can do that you care about the $90. ;)

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 08:30:35 am »
I care about $90; however, then again, my wife always jokes about moths flying out my wallet when I open it.   ;D

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 06:54:03 am »
I care about $90; however, then again, my wife always jokes about moths flying out my wallet when I open it.   ;D

;D ;D