Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finings  (Read 2079 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Finings
« on: March 24, 2014, 04:35:04 am »
 I had a couple brain fart forgot whirlfloc beers. One is carbing at 45° right now. Its third in line for tapping. Should I just drop the lagering temp down to like 33-35° and let it settle out? Or which fining for whatever whirlfloc would leave behind? Would gelatin do it? If so, remind me how to use it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Finings
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 06:26:20 am »
WF is not crucial and I get a kick that some many homebrewers stress out when they forget to add it. It helps to clear out the hot break, for sure, but you can still brew super clear beer as long as your pH is in the right zone.

Gelatin will work fairly well as a bright fining agent but I really like using the Biofine A3 - works so much better.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:43:01 am »
I'm not too worried. Not to the point of buying something. I do have gel, but I thought that was more about yeast. Maybe I'll just see how it does on its own though. Get a feel for how that works

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:59:45 am »
WF just helps settle out the wort proteins. But they will drop out naturally is your pH was in the right range. WF is not reiheitsghebot compliant so you can imagine that many of the crystal clear german lagers are made without any kettle finings.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:06:35 am »
I'm not too worried. Not to the point of buying something. I do have gel, but I thought that was more about yeast. Maybe I'll just see how it does on its own though. Get a feel for how that works

If it aint broke...

Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:31:06 am »
WF is not reiheitsghebot compliant so you can imagine that many of the crystal clear german lagers are made without any kettle finings.

Are you sure about that?  I thought it was OK because it drops out and doesn't remain in the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 10:39:22 am »
WF is not reiheitsghebot compliant so you can imagine that many of the crystal clear german lagers are made without any kettle finings.

Are you sure about that?  I thought it was OK because it drops out and doesn't remain in the beer.

I know that PVPP is allowed as it does not appear in the beer after filtering.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 11:09:19 am »
Since you can taste Irish Moss if you use too much I'm making the assumption that it is not reinhesghebot compliant. But, no, I'm not 100% sure. I am 100% sure you can brew clear beer without IM. But I do think IM helps speed the process.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 11:51:59 am »
Since you can taste Irish Moss if you use too much I'm making the assumption that it is not reinhesghebot compliant. But, no, I'm not 100% sure. I am 100% sure you can brew clear beer without IM. But I do think IM helps speed the process.

I have to assume they wouldn't use too much!  AFAIK, the latest version of the R'gebot says you can use anything that doesn't remain in the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 12:58:42 pm »
Yeah, I know, but I'm not convinced it comes all out of the beer. Maybe it does, I dunno. But you'd think that if you could perceive the flavor of it if used too much than it doesn't all come out of the beer. And I'm sure german's were making clear beer when it was banned "back in the day". You don't need WF or IM to make clear beer. It's a nice tool, though.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 02:30:46 pm »
Well there ya go, I'll just forget that I forgot it and let it drop out with time a temp. I don't really want to be adding crap to my beer anyway.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 04:01:35 pm »
I definitely wouldn't add crap!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 06:27:15 pm »
No, the raspberry flavor had the 'gland' secretions not Irish moss

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 08:36:12 pm »
Oh you guys!