Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA  (Read 3771 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA
« on: March 22, 2014, 06:48:38 pm »
I'm in Colorado for the week. Found this beer at liquor store across the street from our hotel in Crested Butte. I don't really have the palate to describe what I'm tasting all that well, but I can say this is an awesome beer. Bought a sixer last night as something I had never had before, had to go back for another 12 today. I see Citra and Mosaic in my next IPA! Best IPA I have personally tasted in I don't know how long. If you can find it, try it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 11:02:07 pm »
Yes it is a fruity mango bomb

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 06:25:34 am »
I've been wanting to try this since Jim posted on it (I think) last year.  The only place I have seen it was on tap here in town about a week ago... And I gave up alcohol for Lent.  Oh the tests God puts in my way!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:03:11 am »
I love the label line: "no fruit was harmed in the making of this beer!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 03:25:53 pm »
I've been wanting to try this since Jim posted on it (I think) last year.  The only place I have seen it was on tap here in town about a week ago... And I gave up alcohol for Lent.  Oh the tests God puts in my way!

Good on ya ! DFSIPA is kinda strange. Somet it tastes awesome,  sometimes not. But I think its me, not tge beer. Its just so citrusy mangoy that I really have to be in the mood for it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 03:35:36 pm »

Good on ya ! DFSIPA is kinda strange. Somet it tastes awesome,  sometimes not. But I think its me, not tge beer. Its just so citrusy mangoy that I really have to be in the mood for it.

I know what you mean. I like to try the newer, fruitier hops when they come out, just to see what they'd work best for. But I finally decided I just don't care as much for the 'fruit bomb' IPAs and APAs, more than having one or two and done. I use those hops in a mix of piney and citrusy hops, and then it works better for me.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 05:56:36 pm »
My APA IPA tastes have gone old school just because I think old is becoming new again. My APA is 1.050 with 30 IBU of Centennial and Cascade. The IPA is identical but 1.060 and 45-50 IBU. Both dry hopped with an ounce of Willamette. I really like simple, plain, and low key lately. There's so many crazy new hoppy beers out there that they make my stuff seem new and innovative

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 07:34:18 pm »
My APA IPA tastes have gone old school just because I think old is becoming new again. My APA is 1.050 with 30 IBU of Centennial and Cascade. The IPA is identical but 1.060 and 45-50 IBU. Both dry hopped with an ounce of Willamette. I really like simple, plain, and low key lately. There's so many crazy new hoppy beers out there that they make my stuff seem new and innovative

Yep, I hear you. I keep coming back to Amarillo/Cascade/Centennial/Columbus for IPA, after all the experimenting.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 09:41:03 am »
I know what you mean. I like to try the newer, fruitier hops when they come out, just to see what they'd work best for. But I finally decided I just don't care as much for the 'fruit bomb' IPAs and APAs

Thank goodness I'm not the only one! 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 02:07:14 pm »
I know what you mean. I like to try the newer, fruitier hops when they come out, just to see what they'd work best for. But I finally decided I just don't care as much for the 'fruit bomb' IPAs and APAs

Thank goodness I'm not the only one!

same here.  and like was posted, i started tinkering with my next recipe and its cascade, chinook and columbus or centennial  :o

but i sure would like to try this Deschutes beer though - perhaps they will have it on tap when i am in portland in may...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 02:17:17 pm »
Is that the one that has grapefruit in it?  If so, I'll never be able to drink it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 02:20:22 pm »
I don't think it has any fruit, the label says no fruit harmed, so possibly fruit that was already dead?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 02:25:46 pm »
Is that the one that has grapefruit in it?  If so, I'll never be able to drink it.

Speaking of grapefruit, I tried the Stone Grapefruit Slam IPA last week. Worth the try and finished the bottle, but didn't like it.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 04:11:51 pm »

Widmer Shaddock IPA had some grapefruit zest in it, wasn't  that great IMO. I tried Stone's Stochasticity Grapefruti slam IPA project or whatever they call it last week and wasn't very impressed either.   
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:41:00 pm by Pinski »
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 04:34:15 pm »
The Stone is what I was thinking of.

www.dennybrew.com