Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oh, duh  (Read 1481 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Oh, duh
« on: March 12, 2014, 12:39:43 am »
So I've been learning about beer and whatnot. I brought home some New Castle Brown. Enjoyed a couple last week. Nice and fresh and tasty. I used one to do a blind triangle with one of my beers (a Scot 70/- actually, ya I know) and served the three to my wife. After struggling to figure out the difference she picked the New Castle as the odd man out, and my beer and the other New Castle were the same. Not sure how to take that. Hey she thinks my beer is as good as that :) or that my 9B is out of style :(

Anyway, last night after work I poured the last one from the six pack. My first thought was "do they use continental pils in this?" And why didn't I notice that before. Smelled and tasted so similar to an imported store bought Urquell. .. and as I drank it it got stronger. How could that be. Then it finally darned on me. That's not continental pils, it's light struck.

Oh duh!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Oh, duh
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:54:06 am »
Oh by the way. My wife, former Coors light fan, is also learning. She told me the one she picked as different was because it had a slightly fruitier ester aroma than the other too. Well, it had about a half inch of head from being the last one poured. The other too had very little head. I poured them that way to try to trick her. Anyway, a year ago she wouldn't have known what fruity esters even were. I'm so proud of her!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 06:45:31 am »
Interestingly, Newcastle Brown is a blended beer so you just can't brew it up. Good job for getting so close!

Also, I think it (what we get) is brewed in the States now at the behest of Inbev.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:04:12 am »
About all I know is its tasty fresh but the clear bottle is not good. I thought maybe it was unskunkable but now I know it's not. It was very faint at first but unmistakable after it warmed up a bit.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 07:53:56 am »
In my mind, a Northern Brown is not that different from a 70/- if the 70/- is not made by doing a concentrated  boil.  I'll have to familiarize myself with the differences before the BJCP tasting exam.

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 09:18:43 am »
Try Newcastle on tap, you won't know its the same beer. Yea, those clear bottles do skunk.