Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rodenbach Grand Cru  (Read 4401 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Rodenbach Grand Cru
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 09:09:26 am »
I don't understand how you guys get good beer at your costcos but I'm stuck with sam adams mix packs. (I am sure it is a distribution issue with our state's laws...)

Wine selection is very reasonable.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 09:21:28 am »
Costco prices at that good here I texas either. Back in Northern California I could get firestone mix packs for $24, here I get sierra 24 packs for $24 which is the same price as the grocery store that I buy all my beer at.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 09:28:26 am »
Grand Cru benefits from and extra year in the bottle.  Time tends to smooth the flavors out more.  I have had it on tap as well and it was awesome.  I'm not a fan of the salad dressing sours either.  I've had straight lambics that would curl your toes!  :o  Jacobins Rouge is hit or miss for me.  I've had some bottles that were over the top sour with too much Brett character.  That spells out of balance for me.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 09:36:51 am »
+1 to vinegar

I think this could be a function of how it is stored (and possibly shipped).

I've only had Grand Cru in Belgium (its tough to come by in the Midwest). IMO it was far less acidic than Gueuze, and probably less so than most Flanders Reds (Duchesse, for example).

(Relatively) fresh, the beer didn't have an overwhelming acetic bite. It is there, but pleasing (at least to me), just sharp enough to overcome the residual sweetness.

Acetic acid may just be something that is all-together off-putting to some palates. I have a colleague that despises any foods with the slightest trace of vinegar: pickles, salad dressing, etc.

To me, some amount of acetic acid in Flanders Red/Browns can add depth, complexity, and the right kind of acidity. A touch is definitely traditional and appropriate in terms of "style", but it tends to offend judges. Its a tricky balance that may be thrown off by age and poor storage conditions.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 04:30:44 am »
I love the stuff, or at least I used to. I haven't had one in quite a while. I had a nirvana moment when I drank one with shrimp pad thai.

If anyone comes to Belgium, I'll share the 2007 Vintage I have in my cellar.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 09:31:51 am »
Currently on sale at the Costco here....$7.59 for 750 ml.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 03:23:32 pm »
I am the happy beneficiary of the poor taste of the average Montanan....Costco put this on sale before Christmas, and they still have a bunch left for sale.  I love the stuff for eating with a spicy dinner....I am going crack one open tonight with a Thai elk salad.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 03:47:30 pm »
I am the happy beneficiary of the poor taste of the average Montanan....Costco put this on sale before Christmas, and they still have a bunch left for sale.  I love the stuff for eating with a spicy dinner....I am going crack one open tonight with a Thai elk salad.

Yep.  I was surprised to still see it at Costco last week.  I bought a case.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 12:07:50 pm »
Dang, still around? I better go get a case too.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 07:06:43 am »
Had my first off a tap last night - traveling through Nashville of all places - it was tremendous.  No stomach bile and not overpoweringly strong tartness, really more subdued from what I expected.  But, very good!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"