Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for O2 system recommendations  (Read 2474 times)

Offline restlesnativ

• Cellarman
Looking for O2 system recommendations
« on: April 09, 2014, 08:01:04 am »
I have been giving some thought to getting an O2 system. I see a fair amount of options out there. I currently have a Brutus style stand, I use a conical fermenter and a spiedel. I was hoping to get some feedback on what has worked for you. I'm open to any suggestions; a budget system that works well for you or if say money was no object I would buy.... Thanks.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Looking for O2 system recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:47:48 pm »
I have been giving some thought to getting an O2 system. I see a fair amount of options out there. I currently have a Brutus style stand, I use a conical fermenter and a spiedel. I was hoping to get some feedback on what has worked for you. I'm open to any suggestions; a budget system that works well for you or if say money was no object I would buy.... Thanks.

well no one has responded, so i will
 just say the little red canister and O2 wand does the trick for me.  you can always skip the red canister and buy a 5lb O2 tank and regulator for pure O2. that's all i got brotha!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:22:11 pm »

well no one has responded, so i will
 just say the little red canister and O2 wand does the trick for me.  you can always skip the red canister and buy a 5lb O2 tank and regulator for pure O2. that's all i got brotha!

+1 I use the little red canisters and wand with a 2 micron stone. I added a cheap inline flow meter, not necessarily to be super accurate in measuring the L/M but more to ensure that I'm consistent in how much o2 I bubble in from batch to batch. I've had good luck so far. ;)
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 08:56:25 pm »
If money is no object I'd still do what I'm doing. Red bottle and a stainless .5 micron wand. Well, right now I have a 2 micron stone on a plastic wand, but when I get rich I'll switch.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:58:40 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 04:10:07 am »
If money is no object I'd still do what I'm doing. Red bottle and a stainless .5 micron wand. Well, right now I have a 2 micron stone on a plastic wand, but when I get rich I'll switch.
Just had a thought when I read your post about a plastic wand. I have a cheap plastic paddle for stirring my mash and I thought...
For those who don't have a stone attached to a wand, they could flip the paddle upside down, run the hose through the hang hole and then put the stone on. Hold onto the handle and the hose together and you've got a wand... cool.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:12:39 am by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 04:48:51 am »
Just had a thought when I read your post about a plastic wand. I have a cheap plastic paddle for stirring my mash and I thought...
For those who don't have a stone attached to a wand, they could flip the paddle upside down, run the hose through the hang hole and then put the stone on. Hold onto the handle and the hose together and you've got a wand... cool.

Hey... that's actually a really neat idea. I have a bunch of reusable plastic zip ties that I use around the brewery. I think I'm going to zip-tie my O2 hose to the big stainless spoon that I use for stirring my mash next time around.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline restlesnativ

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 05:15:58 am »
Certainly appreciate the feedback everyone. Thanks again.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 07:31:01 am »

Hey... that's actually a really neat idea. I have a bunch of reusable plastic zip ties that I use around the brewery. I think I'm going to zip-tie my O2 hose to the big stainless spoon that I use for stirring my mash next time around.

I bought a replacement for the interior cane of an autosiphon - the L-shaped plastic wand that you pump to get the flow started. I cut the line a few inches above my stone and inserted both ends in the siphon piece, with the stone at the "bottom". This works well, and the short right angle on top can hang off the side of my pail fermenter without slipping in. I think it was less than $5.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 08:42:04 am »
I went on craigslist and got a medical oxygen bottle on a roller stand with an awesome adjustable regulator.
The little number 1 on the left indicates the flow rate which in this setting is 1 liter of O2 per minute!  It can't get any easier.  This tank will last me for years and then is only $15 to exchange.  No more messing around with those little red cans and the horrible regulator that I've been using on it.

Then I use a .05 micron stone on the end of a stainless tube - easy to clean and easy to put where I want it.

Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 09:41:00 am »
I would definitely get the stone on the stainless wand.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 09:52:17 am »
yso191,

Where do you get your oxygen exchanged? I thought one had to have a prescription for that sort of deal...
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 09:55:05 am »
Can't you get oxygen from a welding supply place?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 10:17:59 am »
yso191,

Where do you get your oxygen exchanged? I thought one had to have a prescription for that sort of deal...

Yes that is true  - from Lincare.  I thought I was hosed until I stopped in at the local independent medical supply store.  They said they'd happily exchange bottles with me.  The good thing is these tanks hold so much oxygen and we use so little that I will doubtless not need to do it for at least a couple of years.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 11:39:48 am »
yso191,

Yes that is true  - from Lincare.  I thought I was hosed until I stopped in at the local independent medical supply store.  They said they'd happily exchange bottles with me.  The good thing is these tanks hold so much oxygen and we use so little that I will doubtless not need to do it for at least a couple of years.
Nice. I don't know of a place around my area like that, but I'm sure it exists.
Jesse