Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Remains or Worse?  (Read 3894 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Yeast Remains or Worse?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 07:39:08 pm »
I've had it too, I've siphoned out from under it and the beer was fine. Is it in the cold?  I've found that once I force carb and chill it doesn't seem to appear in the keg. But I would get it cold quick if you haven't already.
If it tastes off, then it's probably done for.

Interestingly, I had a mild that was like that and tasted terribly phenolic. I left it in the keg and forgot about it for 3 or 4 months. I tried it one day wondering what it was and it tasted just fine.  Not sure why it would clean up or drop out but it did.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 07:49:41 pm »
Had that with a blond that got infected - I had it in a swamp cooler with a fan and the airlock dried out and allowed some basement bugs in - it tasted terrible and I tossed it.  Sorry for your bad luck...I have had a mold form on the surface of a primary kept too long that I racked out from under with no ill effects, though, we just drank it quick after it carbed.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 02:37:25 pm »

Unlike denny, once I get it in my head that the beer is unintentionally infected I can't enjoy it no matter what it tastes like, because to me it just tastes bad. even when others say they enjoy it.
Exactly the same for me, as well.

Sorry for your loss, Paul. Where do you think this might have come from?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:39:09 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 02:47:52 pm »
verdict not looking good...

doesn't taste bad, but its cloudy and something is definitely off.  very little malt body - tastes thin...

oh no, that is not looking good. Sorry man.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 02:56:06 pm »
Where do you think this might have come from?

In retracing my steps, it could be one of two things. It could be bacteria or fruit flies.  We are just coming off a wave of fruit fly season here.   My gf mentioned seeing one near my stir plate one evening when i was making the starter, so its possible there, and i did catch a few dead in the airlock on a few brews around the time I made this one (though not this particular batch) , so anything is possible. 

i have since disassembled Connie 2 (I named my fermenters *geek*) and soaked all small parts and gaskets in warm pbw for 24 hours, then rinsed and boiled them for 20 min.  Then reassembled and soaked the fermenter in an Acid #5 solution for 15 min.  If that doesn't solve my problem, then I am at a loss.

I also wonder about my CFCs but I run boiling wort through them everytime for 20 min and then whirlpool at 180-190 for 30 min after that.  I've not had problems with other brews since the IPA above, so while I can't rule it out, I don't think it is the problem.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline blatz

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 02:58:26 pm »
I'm thinking I should just dump both kegs tonight.  I just don't think i can enjoy them - its a shame, because I get hints that it was as good as always (house recipe). 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 08:07:33 pm »
Sorry to hear that.
clean everything and brew again.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 09:02:52 am »
Paul, I know the feeling. I dumped zero beer sthis quarter. Quarter before I dumped 60 bbls of beer. So, put that in perspective. That said, it always sucks, no matter how much you dump.

Offline blatz

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 09:51:30 am »
Paul, I know the feeling. I dumped zero beer sthis quarter. Quarter before I dumped 60 bbls of beer. So, put that in perspective. That said, it always sucks, no matter how much you dump.

that is some perspective.  i guess if a pro has to do it on occasion, i can't beat myself up too much about it.

thanks keith.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 05:10:57 pm »
Plus, Paul, your experience has caused me to re-double my spring cleaning efforts immediately (started Sunday with PBW soak of the kettle then mash tun, fermenter, etc...beer lines next).

Sorry to hear it and Major's woes - that is some real lost profits....not just a hobby loss.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 07:12:59 pm »

I will toast your commitment to a quality product, next time I have a beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 09:34:38 pm »

I will toast your commitment to a quality product, next time I have a beer.

Thank you sir, but I'd appreciate your toast of quality for the next quarter when I again don't dump a batch! :D Looking forward to trying some of your beers in GR!