Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Giga Yeast  (Read 9627 times)

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
Giga Yeast
« on: March 23, 2014, 11:45:29 am »
Anyone try Giga Yeast and have an opinion?  I've got the GY001, which I think is their version of the WLP001 that I'm going to try next week.
I'm making a huge starter, even though it supposedly has 200 billion cells but I'm going to store some for future use.
I can't find any reviews anywhere on their yeast but figured I'd give it a try just because. 
http://www.gigayeast.com/norcal-ale-1-gy001

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Giga Yeast
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 01:47:24 pm »
Never heard of them before your post, but I am intrigued!  Especially about their Vermont IPA Yeast GY054, which I am hoping is Conan from the Alchemist Brewery.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 06:34:42 pm »
I bought mine from Farmhouse and they didn't have the 'conan' when I ordered it but I plan to try some.
I made a starter at noon today and  3 hours later its gangbusters.  Its' 1 month old  so it's very viable.

It'll be a while before I know how th is works out.

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 08:43:03 pm »
There is a new brewery in our area, Ozark Beer Company, that uses their yeast exclusively.  The head brewer is very keen on this brand and they make the best beer, by far, in our area.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:20:31 am »
There is a new brewery in our area, Ozark Beer Company, that uses their yeast exclusively.  The head brewer is very keen on this brand and they make the best beer, by far, in our area.

any idea of what strains he uses?

I like that the yeast is packaged with more cells.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:11:21 am »
I've also never heard of Giga. Looks like most of their yeast is cultured out of bottles/cans of commercial beers.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 07:14:28 pm »

any idea of what strains he uses?

I like that the yeast is packaged with more cells.

I think the norcal 1 is his base yeast, but I'm not positive.  I do know that he loves the saison blend.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 08:06:04 pm »
I've also never heard of Giga. Looks like most of their yeast is cultured out of bottles/cans of commercial beers.
Why do you say that?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 08:12:26 pm »
I was somewhat interested until I came to the part where they introduce their dog.  Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather get my yeast from somewhere that pets aren't involved.  The seem to say that the dog is confined to the office, but anyway...

Offline Stevie

Giga Yeast
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 08:28:41 pm »
First time I heard about it was a year and a half ago when a buddy picked some up from oak barrel in Berkeley. I haven't used it, but I'm sure a quick call to oak barrel or any other store that carries it can shed some light on the quality.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 06:51:39 am »
I was somewhat interested until I came to the part where they introduce their dog.  Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather get my yeast from somewhere that pets aren't involved.  The seem to say that the dog is confined to the office, but anyway...

So, you are saying that all my beers I ever brewed at home are infected with dog hair?

Two things I am suspicious about in a man. 1) If he doesn't drink coffee. 2) If he doesn't like dogs. I might forgive one of those. But I cross a man out of my books if he doesn't like either. Just sayin'. ;)

Offline blatz

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 07:09:59 am »
Two things I am suspicious about in a man. 1) If he doesn't drink coffee. 2) If he doesn't like dogs. I might forgive one of those. But I cross a man out of my books if he doesn't like either. Just sayin'. ;)

+1.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 07:18:18 am »
+1. I've brewed for 20+ years with multiple dogs supervising, and clean beer to show for it.
Jon H.

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 07:23:14 am »
My starter could have used a blow off tube!  Took off in 3 hours.
I'm pretty sure it's their version of WLP001 and I'm going to use it in a IIPA this Sunday. I made a 2L starter and split it up into 2 jars and will keep one jar for a future brew but will step up the other jar for the brew this weekend. I figure if I'm paying this much, I want to keep some around for a few more batches.
At this early stage, I'm happy with it so far. The true test will be when I drink the beer.

Offline blatz

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 07:27:11 am »
My starter could have used a blow off tube!  Took off in 3 hours.
I'm pretty sure it's their version of WLP001 and I'm going to use it in a IIPA this Sunday. I made a 2L starter and split it up into 2 jars and will keep one jar for a future brew but will step up the other jar for the brew this weekend. I figure if I'm paying this much, I want to keep some around for a few more batches.
At this early stage, I'm happy with it so far. The true test will be when I drink the beer.

you did realize you were paying more because it was 200bn cells versus 100bn in wyeast or white labs, right?