Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Stout ingrediant advice  (Read 2684 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Imperial Stout ingrediant advice
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:58:20 am »
Hi guys. Having recently ordered a small bourbon barrel (8 gallon from Woodinville’s maple syrup) I’m planning on making my first Imperial Stout and wanted to get some advice for the recipe. I’m working off of an 8 gallon BIAB setup so have to cut it with a little DME & sugars to get the gravity. Here’s my recipe so far:

Grain Bill:

Base (~84%)
Marris Otter:    8 lbs
Light DME:       2 lbs
Flaked Barley: .5 lbs

Dark Malts: (~6.5%)
Roast Barley: 4 oz
UK Choc Malt: 4 oz
Carafa III: 5 oz (dehusked)

Sugars: (~10%)
Turbinado: 1 lbs
Maple Syrup: 4 oz

Hop Schedule:

Columbus: 1.25 oz @ 60
Cascade:  1.00 oz @ 10

Yeast: Not sure, was debating about Burton since I like it with MO but may not be appropriate for the style. Maybe a cleaner American strain.

OG: 1.086
FG:  1.019
ABV: 8.9%
IBU: 68

Any thoughts?

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Imperial Stout ingrediant advice
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 08:18:12 am »
If it were me, more roasted barley and chocolate. 50:50, 8-10% of the total.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 08:25:54 am »
I like more roast in mine. I use about a pound of chocolate malt and a pound of black patent.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:32:46 am »

Yea, I was thinking perhaps I should increase the dark malts. Think I should kill the Carafa III?

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:33:57 am »
I like more roast in mine. I use about a pound of chocolate malt and a pound of black patent.

Black Patent is basically like Roasted Barley but with a bit more of a burnt taste right?

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:39:24 am »

Yea, I was thinking perhaps I should increase the dark malts. Think I should kill the Carafa III?

you can.  it will probably be plenty black without it if you bump up the RB and Choc.   some people like to use the carafa to restrain the roast via replacement.  but I like roast - my american oatmeal stout 1.070SG, uses 16% between chocolate and roasted barley.  wouldn't go that high in a RIS because there is some thought that the roast is more exponential than proportional, but I would definitely approach 10%, especially if you are going to age it.

black patent, to me, is more acrid.  think black coffee (roasted barley) vs. black espresso (black patent).  each have their place, just different flavors/acidity.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:43:28 am »
I'll add that 4 oz of maple syrup is not going to do anything for you at all. I put 2 lb in 5 gallons of barley wine and it's a note, not the main note even but a note. unless you are just taking a guess on how much is in the barrel.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 08:53:08 am »
+1 to bumping up the roast malts.  Personally, I'd drop the Carafa and use 8 oz each roasted barley and chocolate. And using the DME (which is less fermentable) I'd be sure to mash low, as in ~ 148 or 149F, to get down to the FG you're shooting for.
Jon H.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 09:02:56 am »
+1 to bumping up the roast malts.  Personally, I'd drop the Carafa and use 8 oz each roasted barley and chocolate. And using the DME (which is less fermentable) I'd be sure to mash low, as in ~ 148 or 149F, to get down to the FG you're shooting for.

A lower mash would drop my estimated FG down to 1.016. You don't think dropping the temp would make it too light in body for the style?

Sounds good on the malts, just adjusted to a pound of 50-50 chocolate/rb

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 09:04:36 am »
I'll add that 4 oz of maple syrup is not going to do anything for you at all. I put 2 lb in 5 gallons of barley wine and it's a note, not the main note even but a note. unless you are just taking a guess on how much is in the barrel.

Yea, maybe I'll kill the maple. Was figuring to try to compliment the maple barrel a bit but you're right that it's probably too low to recognize.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 09:12:57 am »

you can.  it will probably be plenty black without it if you bump up the RB and Choc.   some people like to use the carafa to restrain the roast via replacement.  but I like roast - my american oatmeal stout 1.070SG, uses 16% between chocolate and roasted barley.  wouldn't go that high in a RIS because there is some thought that the roast is more exponential than proportional, but I would definitely approach 10%, especially if you are going to age it.

black patent, to me, is more acrid.  think black coffee (roasted barley) vs. black espresso (black patent).  each have their place, just different flavors/acidity.

Maybe 8oz Chocolate then 4oz each of black patent & black barley?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 09:15:28 am »

A lower mash would drop my estimated FG down to 1.016. You don't think dropping the temp would make it too light in body for the style?

Sounds good on the malts, just adjusted to a pound of 50-50 chocolate/rb

Have you brewed this recipe before and reached that FG, or is the FG a software estimate ?  I just ask because extracts are not as fermentable as grain, and contribute to a higher FG, and a sweeter beer. Though the lb of turbinado would help some. I don't think you're in any danger of this beer being too light in body.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 09:17:35 am »
Definitely agree you want more dark malts in that beer. With barrel aging you may want to go a little heavier on the dark malts than you would without a barrel-aged beer because the barrel is going to contribute a set of flavors and the time will help smooth out some of the roast character. Of course that depends upon how long the beer will age before you drink it. You may not want to age a beer in a fresh barrel for very long.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 09:18:50 am »
Have you brewed this recipe before and reached that FG, or is the FG a software estimate ?  I just ask because extracts are not as fermentable as grain, and contribute to a higher FG, and a sweeter beer. Though the lb of turbinado would help some. I don't think you're in any danger of this beer being too light in body.
[/quote]

Software estimate (beersmith), sounds good

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 09:24:48 am »

Yea, maybe I'll kill the maple. Was figuring to try to compliment the maple barrel a bit but you're right that it's probably too low to recognize.

or bump it way way up! 3 lbs maybe, skip the sugar. get the darkest maple you can find.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce