Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plate chiller clogging as it cools  (Read 2121 times)

Offline eltharyon

• Cellarman
    • Barefoot Lion Brewing
Plate chiller clogging as it cools
« on: March 25, 2014, 05:41:12 pm »
Subject line pretty much says it all, I'm having issues with my plate chiller clogging as the wort chills.  I'll usually run the pump and chiller starting about 15 minute left in the boil, to make sure to it is sanitized with heat.  Once the boil is over I'll let the kettle settle and start running the water. 
the chiller will run for a few minutes and then clog up.

Suggestions?

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Re: Plate chiller clogging as it cools
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:55:06 pm »
You can use a filter or a hop back before the chiller to remove trub and hop debris. I was having trouble so I plumbed to bypass the chiller until I'm actually ready to run to the fermenters. Now my procedure is to bring a small amount of water in the HLT to boiling and run through the chiller to sanitize. Then I bypass the chiller for any recirculation until I actually want to chill. It's easy to add what ever amount of cool water I need to get the HLT to strike temp. Use one of the strike temp calculators, but set the grain amount to zero and you can figure out how much of whatever temp cool water you're going to need.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 12:23:52 am »
I use nylon paint strainer bags to hold my hops.  My plate chiller no longer clogs.  They are reusable.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 05:40:53 am »
Use an immersion chiller. They are easier to clean and sanitize and they never clog!

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:44:24 am »
When you are recirculating for the last 15 minutes or so you are really filling those small crevices up with hop pellet gunk. You should find another way to sanitize the plate chiller and then wait for the pellets to fall down to the bottom of the kettle. Pull clear wort off above the level of the pellet pile at the bottom and you shouldn't have any problems.

Offline Gridlock

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 06:32:44 am »
I use nylon paint strainer bags to hold my hops.  My plate chiller no longer clogs.  They are reusable.

+1 I use a paint strainer hop-spider and have never clogged my chiller.