Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Yeast Bay  (Read 5276 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
The Yeast Bay
« on: March 24, 2014, 12:44:40 pm »
Has anyone used this company?  I just saw it on my on-line suppliers site.  They seem to specialize in Brett blends and "rare" yeasts. 
I ordered a tube of their Wallonia Farmhouse to compare with WY3711.  They look very similar from what I'm reading on their website and maybe they are the same thing, can't really say.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: The Yeast Bay
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 08:04:35 pm »
Mad Fermentationist just posted about a beer he made with their Vermont ale yeast.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:56:23 am »
I also just read the MF post about this and had a few questions...
1) is The Yeast Bay a boutique yeast brand by White Labs?
2) how much different can I make a beer taste by using a different or apparently higher quality yeast?
3) what is this Conan yeast I read about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:07:26 am »
From their website, they isolate the yeast and send to white labs for production in volume

2) how much different can I make a beer taste by using a different or apparently higher quality yeast?
Considering White Labs is producing their yeast, I wouldn't think much. Maybe they are positioning themselves as the hard to find yeast guys.

Conan yeast is the yeast of The Alchemist and Heady Topper fame. Never tried it myself.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 01:08:05 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Conan was brought back from England by Greg Noonan, used in his Vermont Pub and Brewery. John Kimmich,worked at VPB, and got the yeast from Noonan.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 01:15:05 pm »
Considering White Labs is producing their yeast, I wouldn't think much. Maybe they are positioning themselves as the hard to find yeast guys.
That's pretty much how their website reads.

Offline Gus_13

• 1st Kit
    • Mason-Dixon Brew Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:19:01 pm »
I picked up two vials of the Wallonian Farmhouse yeast.  I plan on brewing a saison similar to my base saison to see what it will be like.  3711 is my go to for this as it's a "cleaner" saison for me.  I'm thinking it may be close to 585 from White Labs.  I'll have to report back.  It's been a while since i've used 585 and that was for a Saison d' Hiver.  I do like the Brett blends they are putting out.  Seems to have a lot of character from what I've read.
Brewer of Belgian-Style and Wild Beers

Santé!

Offline Fermented-minds

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 02:23:33 pm »

They are actually a stand alone company that does all of their own strain prospecting, isolation and evaluation. According to their website, White Labs is their contract manufacturer.

By using a different yeast, a lot! The quality is definitely there, as it's manufactured by White Labs. The Yeast Bay seems to specialize in providing yeast that have unique profiles and are unlike other yeast on the market. I have used a number of the blends/strains, and they are certainly unique from the White Labs and Wyeast line up.

The Alchemist Heady Topper strain, famed for it's dryness and ester profile.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:08:17 pm by Fermented-minds »

Offline ram5ey

• Cellarman
    • Isaac Ramsey Design
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 09:01:13 am »
A guy I know uses them a lot and is really happy with the yeast.
Macon, GA

Offline Fermented-minds

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 04:00:23 pm »
The Wallonian Farmhouse strain is definitely one of the most unique and has seemed to get the most attention in other forums, aside from the Vermont Ale.

They also just posted on their Facebook that they will soon be releasing a sour blend "the proportions for which we are still contemplating" and a single strain of Saccharomyces that "has a magnificent bouquet, ferments dry and has a reputation for being quite alcohol tolerant... suits the Belgian Golden Strong Ale style perfectly... is going to be a great yeast for any high alcohol Belgian-style beer".

Woot!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 08:31:50 am »
I'm curious about their products. I haven't seen any bad reviews yet but I haven't seen a lot of reviews in general.

I'm looking for some new saison strains to use in addition to 3711 or instead of 3711 just to keep some variety in my beers. I suppose most of the saison strains floating around are either cultured from commercial beers or harvested from yeast banks and repackaged for homebrewing so neither is really "new".
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Fermented-minds

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 04:16:20 pm »
I'm curious about their products. I haven't seen any bad reviews yet but I haven't seen a lot of reviews in general.

I'm looking for some new saison strains to use in addition to 3711 or instead of 3711 just to keep some variety in my beers. I suppose most of the saison strains floating around are either cultured from commercial beers or harvested from yeast banks and repackaged for homebrewing so neither is really "new".

If you search HomeBrewTalk and Reddit (/r/homebrewing sub), I have seen quite a bit of review of almost every strain they offer. Check them out if you get a chance.

So far as not being "new", I would probably disagree on that point. I think it's a huge service to offer strains that were previously not available to homebrewers and almost all craft brewers in pure culture. You can culture dregs from a bottle, but the important thing to remember is that pure culture from a lab that has zero tolerance for contamination is far superior to something grown up from a bottle in which there is an acceptable level (albeit low) of bacterial/wild yeast contamination.

Speaking from personal experience, I would say their Saison Blend and Wallonian Farmhouse are definitely "new", as there was nothing like them on the market before they showed up. They both produce profiles that are unique and, now thank to the folks at The Yeast Bay, easily accessible!

Offline Fermented-minds

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 01:06:07 pm »
Thought I'd share with the forum that The Yeast Bay just came out with some new products the other week. They now have a big sour blend (Melange), a sour Saison (Farmhouse Sour Ale), a big Brett blend (Amalgamation) and a new Belgian strain (Dry Belgian Ale). They sold quick, but it seems they got more stock and everything is currently up.

Did a large split batch of saison wort and am using them all. They're all chugging away and smell great. Very glad to see their lineup of offerings is growing.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 05:25:40 am »
I got me a vial of Sour Mélange to ferment my dark sour something. Will report on findings :)
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 12:43:54 am »
Took a while to lift off but the sour melange is happily chugging away now. Took about 60 hours to achieve krausen, although there was a bit of airlock activity about 24 hours in.
Solid fermentaion at room temperature at this point, with a big head of krausen. No noticeable off smells.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote