Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewhouse efficiency 'stuck' near 60%  (Read 10114 times)

Offline nofunsally

• Cellarman
Re: Brewhouse efficiency 'stuck' near 60%
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 10:01:05 am »
I plan on doing two 'kettles' per one batch right now. I am not sure I could make myself brew less than 5 gallons.  I am unsure if I could get more than 5 gallons boiling on my stove top.

Thanks again for the help,
Cheers,
MJ

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 10:46:41 am »
I plan on doing two 'kettles' per one batch right now. I am not sure I could make myself brew less than 5 gallons.  I am unsure if I could get more than 5 gallons boiling on my stove top.

Thanks again for the help,
Cheers,
MJ

Yup. Brewing All-Grain is a different "kettle" than extract.  ;) You're running up against a capacity barrier. You'll have to decide for yourself but I see difficulties for you unless you buy a bigger pot and most likely a burner to heat it with.

My opinion is that a 40 qt is the minimum size to end up with 5 gallons and a 60 qt such as a keggle is much more appropriate.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 10:44:30 am »
Even when sparging with correct volumes, I was regularly getting only 55-60% extraction efficiency on my first half-dozen all-grain batches.  After looking at all other factors, including my crush (I crush my own), and water profile, and stirring during the mash, simply recirculating my entire first runnings 2 or 3 times bumped my efficiency up to 70%.  Also making sure to get my sparge water hot enough - my larger MLT soaks up a significant amount of heat.

I mash in a large rectangular cooler (I think 60-qt. w/stainless braid manifold), and batch sparge and wonder if my MLT geometry is a factor.  My grain bed is thick enough by most accounts (> 4 inches deep), but position and size of my manifold may be a factor.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 11:18:04 am »
I mash in a large rectangular cooler (I think 60-qt. w/stainless braid manifold), and batch sparge and wonder if my MLT geometry is a factor.

If you batch sparge, that isn't a factor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nofunsally

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 04:12:39 pm »
Hello,

I brewed a witbier and a brown ale this past weekend. Using the suggestions here things are looking better.  Admittedly, I need to get my 'volumes' more exact.  These mashes were definitely thinner than anything else I've done.  I was near 2 qts per pound. I ended up collecting more wort too (than previous brews) and boiling in two pots.

For the wit the efficiency into the fermenter was 73% and for the brown the efficiency into the fermenter was 78%.

Thank for the help,
Cheers,
MJ

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 05:35:39 pm »
Sounds promising, MJ.  Please let us know how the beers turn out.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 06:33:10 pm »

For the wit the efficiency into the fermenter was 73% and for the brown the efficiency into the fermenter was 78%.

Thank for the help,
Cheers,
MJ

Way to go!  Glad the suggestions here helped.
Joe

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 07:48:13 pm »
Mmmmm, beer!
Brew on