Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonator Cap for dialing-in dry hop addition  (Read 992 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Carbonator Cap for dialing-in dry hop addition
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:38:59 pm »
Last weekend I kegged and same time added keg dry hops to an IPA I had made 2 weeks earlier.  After racking into 2 corny kegs (10 gal batch), there was +1 quart extra, uncarbonated beer, to which no dry hops had been added. 

I wanted to get a feel for what dry hopping would do for this beer.  So, I carbonated the extra quart of beer with a Carbonator Cap (my first time using one), and then infused some of that with some dried whole summit hops, removed with a mint julep spoon, and squeezed additional hoppy beer through the spoon into my glass after the spoon was removed.

It made a tasty beer into a very tasty beer, of course still in need of conditioning.  The process helped me anticipate what my finished kegged beer will taste like.  It also was timed so I could have revised my dry hop addition in the kegs, although I didn't feel that was needed.

Next time I will just cold steep some (preferably whole) hops in any extra uncarbed beer, strain it, and then carbonate via the Carbonator Cap... a much better approach.

The Carbonator Cap is a great tool, that I never thought about much as to how it can be used to dial-in dry hopping rate, and even dry hop combinations for the bulk of your batch.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:40:48 pm by brewsumore »