Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sugar in Extract Recipes/ Late Extract Addition  (Read 3250 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Sugar in Extract Recipes/ Late Extract Addition
« on: March 25, 2014, 05:05:58 pm »
2 part bonus question thread!

1) How often have you used plain ol' sugar as part of the recipe to dry out an IPA or Pale Ale? How much in %? Results?

2) What would be the benefit of adding LME or DME late into a boil? (In this example, 6 lbs was added at 60 minutes and 3 lbs for 15 minutes)

Thanks!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Sugar in Extract Recipes/ Late Extract Addition
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 05:50:36 pm »
2 part bonus question thread!

1) How often have you used plain ol' sugar as part of the recipe to dry out an IPA or Pale Ale? How much in %? Results?

2) What would be the benefit of adding LME or DME late into a boil? (In this example, 6 lbs was added at 60 minutes and 3 lbs for 15 minutes)

Thanks!

1.  I don't add it to APA or AIPA.  If you're using all extract, you could add some sugar to a recipe to ensure you get a low enough FG, since extracts are not as fermentable. I wouldn't use over ~ 10%.

2.  It would prevent excessive darkening of your wort, which is another drawback of using a high % of extract.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »
Ok, I thought it was to change the taste profile of IPAs. Can you elaborate on why I would want a low FG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 06:03:24 pm »
Lower fg will give you a drier beer. With some extracts, especially darker, your beer can end at a higher fg than you want and be sweeter than you desired or have more body or a heavier mouthfeel.

I use the lightest dme I can find (breiss pils) and add it late. I have no issues with darkening or high fg. Sugar will help to boost your abv without adding body. Belgian triples are a good example. If your going all extract on an IPA sugar might help.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 06:08:13 pm »
Adding extract late in the boil also improves hop utilization. When I brewed partial boil with extract I would normally add roughly half at the start and the rest towards the end. With full boil extract, it is less of an issue in both the color and hop utilization front.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 06:12:40 pm »
Good info...if I'm only doing 15 minute extract boils, what would a late extract addition look like?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 06:16:52 pm »
If you are sticking to the 15 minute boil, add it all at the beginning.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 06:17:03 pm »
Adding extract late in the boil also improves hop utilization. When I brewed partial boil with extract I would normally add roughly half at the start and the rest towards the end. With full boil extract, it is less of an issue in both the color and hop utilization front.

+1.  I did full boils with extract back in the day and you're right - darkening and utilization aren't much of an issue there.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:59:01 am »
I've added sugar to every extract beer I've done for the last 10 years.  It was the key to making the rye extract from NB produce a rye IPA very much like the AG version.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Multifaceted

• Cellarman
  • Jerk of All Trades
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 10:41:32 am »
I've been adding the majority of malt extract during last 10 minutes of the boil. Since doing this, I've noticed less caramelization which keeps the wort lighter color. I've also noticed better hop utilization, which is very important to me because I'm also doing partial boils (4-4.5 gal) and topping-off, and that already affects hop utilization.

I just tried adding simple sugar (dextrose in my case) — only 5% of the fermentables, and added it during the last 5 minutes. I've read that it help dry it out, and lo and behold — it dropped my FG down a point as per the target. It was a west-coast style IPA, but it's still in the carboy, and the sample I took for a reading did taste somewhat drier than I had expected.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 07:06:17 am »
If I add 5% sugar to a recipe, would I just find what 5% of my extract weight is? For example, 5 lbs of DME, I would use .25 lbs of sugar and 4.75 lbs DME?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 07:06:56 am »
Also, do specialty grains (steeping) count towards total weight bill?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 07:51:57 am »
Also, do specialty grains (steeping) count towards total weight bill?

I would count them.  Steeping grains may not necessarily contribute fermentables, but in the case of something like crystal malt they will definitely contribute sweetness and % of total grain bill is a good benchmark to track how much crystal you are adding.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 09:11:36 am »
If I add 5% sugar to a recipe, would I just find what 5% of my extract weight is? For example, 5 lbs of DME, I would use .25 lbs of sugar and 4.75 lbs DME?

Sugar and DME have about the same ppg so you can swap them 1:1.  Your example is correct.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell