Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brett IPA help  (Read 2271 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Brett IPA help
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:03:05 pm »
My next brew will be an IPA brewed with Brett.  I'm looking for some help with the differences.  Here is my recipe:

Brett IPA   American IPA (14 B)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.50 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.50 gal

Ingredients:

8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)    72.7 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)       18.2 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L             9.1 %
1.50 oz Zeus [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min   65.7 IBUs
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min     22.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [7.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min  9.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois (White Labs #WLP644) 
3.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Dry Hop
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.7 %
Bitterness: 97.3 IBUs
Est Color: 8.9 SRM

So I am curious: is the primary difference in the fermentation, with everything prior to that being the same?
How long does the fermentation go typically? 
Is the dry hopping process any different?
I have 2 vials with a 'Best Before' date of July 23, 2014.  Will one be sufficient?  Should I do a starter, or just toss it in?

Thanks
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brett IPA help
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:26:40 pm »
Mad fermentationist has loads of info that would help you.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/07/100-brett-trois-ipa-recipe.html?m=1

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 06:53:17 am »
I would do a starter, you should be pitching about the same amount as you would for a lager of that gravity.  I think my fermentation was a little longer than my standard ale, but only by a few days to a week.  I would keep the same dry hopping schedule.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:13:58 am »
I would also do a starter based on lager volumes for the gravity/batch size of your beer.

For the most part fermentation will knock off after about three weeks but sometimes those brett primary beers will drop a point or two over the next month or so.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline a witty man

• Cellarman
  • Fed by Fermentation
    • Zephyr Fermented Beverages
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:37:34 am »

So I am curious: is the primary difference in the fermentation, with everything prior to that being the same?
How long does the fermentation go typically? 
Is the dry hopping process any different?
I have 2 vials with a 'Best Before' date of July 23, 2014.  Will one be sufficient?  Should I do a starter, or just toss it in?

Thanks
I've made a few great Brett IPAs. In my experience the brew day is similar to a "regular" brew day, with minor recipe adjustments.

It depends on your desired outcome on the overall IPA, but I think 65 IBUs of Zeus at 60 mins will would be too bitter for my tastes. Brett trois adds a bit of a tropical fruit esters, and may clash with that bitterness. I'd push your bittering addition to late in the boil (like 1.5-2 oz. zeus around 20 mins) or do first-wort-hopping and drop it to 1 oz. Some like to add a bit of aciduated malt when using Brett Trois - the brett will work on the lactic acid and increase the production of fruity esters. The Mad Fermentationist website has more info on this.

You should definitely do a big starter. The starter takes longer with Brett Trois -- about a week to finish in my experience. Crashing can take up to 24 hours as well, so plan ahead. My ferm times have been similar to reverseapachemaster -- about 3-4 weeks. Fermentation should look similar to a sacchro ferment, but it will take longer to finish. You can ramp 2-3º at the end of fermentation to help it along if you want.

Dry hopping is no different. Again, match your hops to your desired flavor outcome--citrusy, tropical, berries, etc. I usually dryhop in 2 sessions of 4 days each.
~Aaron
Founding Member of the Albany Brew Crafters
BJCP Certified #e1105
www.zephyrfermentedbeverages.blogspot.com

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 12:46:49 pm »
Thanks Guys I really appreciate the input.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline s rails

• Cellarman
  • Clovis, CA
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 08:47:35 pm »
I have made many Brett beers. Brett needs some stress to produce the "off" flavors you want.  Listen to the Brewing Network episode with Chad Yakobson from Crooked Stave. 

He suggests making a starter at least 10 days in advanced.  I have had better success with getting tropical flavors when I under pitch.  I would make a 1 liter starter with one vial of the Trois about 2 weeks before brew day.  After pitching it will be a slow ferment at first.  Don't panic activity might take a few days, but it will.

I also oxygenate half of my normal amount of time.  Do not use yeast nutrients.  Stress the Brett a bit, it will work don't worry.
Sean Railing
"Drink Beer, Be Happy, Live Longer"

Fermenting: 
Rye Pale Ale
Kegged or Bottled:
Bock, Bitter, ESB, Dubbel,  Baltic Porter, Unblended Lambic, Sanctification Clone, American Barleywine

Member San Joaquin Worthogs (Admin Vice President 2014)