Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aeration time when using a 2 micron stone?  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Aeration time when using a 2 micron stone?
« on: March 30, 2014, 08:26:18 am »
I brew half batches (2.5 gallons) and I aerate with pure O2 using a wand with a 2 micron sintered stone. I have been modeling my aeration after the process used in the Yeast Book. The book says 60 seconds of O2 @ 1 L/M with a .5 micron stone delivers a little over 9 PPM O2. Since I do half batches I use about half that  time, around 30-45 seconds @ 1 L/M. I've been trying to search info about the different stones and found that the .5 micron is said to produce bubbles with a greater surface area.
Should I be aerating LONGER with the 2 micron stone to achieve the same PPM?
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Aeration time when using a 2 micron stone?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 08:47:22 am »
I think the opposite is true.  If greater surface area meant more oxygen dissolved then we wouldn't use a stone at all - we'd just stick a hose in and let really big bubbles do their thing.

I'm pretty sure you're OK doing what you are doing.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 01:28:59 pm »
That would be true if only one bubble came out of each. But that one big bubble coming out of the end of a hose becomes lots and lots of tiny bubbles out of a stone. Estimate the outside surface area of an egg white, then froth it into a meringue. Which one is bigger?

Lusk, the difference between .5 and 2 micron stones for what we are doing is really nothing to worry about.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:32:32 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 03:44:44 pm »
Yeah I guess I didn't state it too clearly this morning.  I was just waking up.  You are right and I agree - what I was trying to say is that there is a greater surface area with many tiny bubbles than few big ones.  So a 2 micron stone would do better than a 5 micron stone which does better than a hose stuck in the wort.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 05:25:15 pm »
Yup yup. And .5 even better. Mine is a 2 and I think it's just fine.