Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrew Competition Rules  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Rief Artisan Ales

• 1st Kit
  • Brewing beer with love for the love of beer
Homebrew Competition Rules
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:48:15 pm »
Should judges be allowed to enter beer in the same competition that they are judging in? I feel that there may be an opportunity for bias among judges in the competition. I would like to hear opinions regarding this... ???

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Homebrew Competition Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:59:28 pm »
Comps that I have judged or stewarded in were sure to keep judges off of flights they were entered into. I think banning judges from the entire competition will limit the number of judges willing to volunteer their time.

Offline Rief Artisan Ales

• 1st Kit
  • Brewing beer with love for the love of beer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:14:10 pm »
Comps that I have judged or stewarded in were sure to keep judges off of flights they were entered into. I think banning judges from the entire competition will limit the number of judges willing to volunteer their time.

I kinda thought that might a deterrent for the judges.  What about a tiered system for competitions?  Where the entrants have their brews judged in a separate class.  Non-judges, judges, etc.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:12:46 am »
Seems like a waste of time to me.  I don't know of any competitions that prevent judges from entering, but they all make sure that judges do not judge styles they enter.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 04:57:23 am »
I'm not a judge, but I am sure adequate safeguards are in place to prevent bias.  Judges should be allowed to enter competitions for no charge as payback for - but not even close to the value of - their time volunteered. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 05:48:26 am »
Seems like a waste of time to me.  I don't know of any competitions that prevent judges from entering, but they all make sure that judges do not judge styles they enter.

+1
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 06:02:49 am »
If one competes enough, one realizes the competition would not happen without judges, so one becomes a judge. That does not stop one from competing. The system has processes that keeps the judge from judging his beer. One needs to also know that the beers are judged blind. The only situation that comes up occasionally is when a unique beer comes up, and a judge may say I think I know that beer, and excuses themselves from judging the beer. Examples are a unique beer that the judge tasted at a club meeting.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 06:12:47 am »
Lets see, learn to brew well, buy equipment,  ingredients, invest a month, pay entry fee, pay shipping, become a judge, attend competition, weasel way into your beers flight, get lucky enough to judge your own beer and pick it out of the group, somehow convince others that it should go to BOS, get on BOS judging panel, convince others your beer is best, accept medal. Or... just go buy a medal.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 07:27:49 am »
I kinda thought that might a deterrent for the judges.  What about a tiered system for competitions?  Where the entrants have their brews judged in a separate class.  Non-judges, judges, etc.
Since entrant classes are usually based on ability (like amateur vs pro), I think this would create the impression that judges are by definition better brewers than non-judges. This isn't necessarily true.

But there are some practical reasons not to worry. Rewards for judging are low - judges are spending money on gas/tolls to spend a long day thinking really critically about beer (not quite as much fun as you'd think) usually in exchange for lunch and an experience point. This tends to weed out anyone who doesn't have a highly altruistic sense of service to the homebrewing hobby. 

Also, if someone wants to game the system, it's going to be really hard to stop them with rules. Again, we really depend on judges having a sense of service and honesty. And if you work at any competition of decent size, you'll get a sense that it would be hard to give a particular beer a boost. Out of hundreds of entries, a judge has a low chance of being on the flight with one particular entry. And that entry would still have to make it through mini-BOS and BOS to win.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 07:38:11 am »
Since entrant classes are usually based on ability (like amateur vs pro), I think this would create the impression that judges are by definition better brewers than non-judges. This isn't necessarily true.

and if it WERE true I would find it silly that the the non-trained judges would be judging the best beers while the actual BJCP judges would be judging the inferior beers.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 08:47:32 am »
Lets see, learn to brew well, buy equipment,  ingredients, invest a month, pay entry fee, pay shipping, become a judge, attend competition, weasel way into your beers flight, get lucky enough to judge your own beer and pick it out of the group, somehow convince others that it should go to BOS, get on BOS judging panel, convince others your beer is best, accept medal. Or... just go buy a medal.

LOL

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 08:48:47 am »

You forgot some steps: somehow convince others that it should go to mini-BOS, get on mini-BOS judging panel, convince others your beer is best in mini-BOS!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 09:34:42 am »
Should judges be allowed to enter beer in the same competition that they are judging in? I feel that there may be an opportunity for bias among judges in the competition. I would like to hear opinions regarding this... ???

Of course.  as long as they don't judge their own beer, what's the issue?  I have entered in many of the comps I've judged.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 10:13:55 am »
It should also be pointed out that software used for many of the comps has the entry section, and a section to sign up to judge. The software also will exclude the judge from the being on the flights entered when assignments are made. If there is a glitch and a judge is assigned to a category she or he has entered, then the judge has to talk to the judge wrangler/coordinator saying they can't be at that table. I had to excuses myself from one flight a few years back, so another judge was swapped out with me.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 05:21:55 pm »
Seems like the type of rule that would make it impossible (instead of just being difficult) to attract enough quality judges to pull off a decent size competition.  I think judges should not judge a category they enter - which seems pretty standard.  Beyond that, they should absolutely be able to participate as anyone else would.