Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 10531 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Pet Peeves
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:36:52 pm »
Im in a slightly snotty irritable mood tonight. Long week I suppose. But I thought it could be fun to vent some beer or brewing pet peeves, if it doesnt go off the rails. So vent nicely please.

Acetaldehyde: there is only one "al" in there. ASS-ET-AL-DE-HIDE, not ASS-EAT-ALL-AL-DE-HIDE!

I'll leave it at just one for now so I dont hog all the good ones...

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:56:25 pm »
The idea that rarity/scarcity makes it a good beer.  Standing in line for hours to get a taste of some rare beer. Lots of them are very good but just because production is small doesn't make it better. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:22:29 pm »
Peat smoked malt in Scottish... caveat, I have not had a actual fresh from Scotland scotish beer. But ive heard that Scottish beer is smokey from peat smoked malt. Plus its in the guidelines so it must be so.

From what ive gathered, there are a couple breweries in France that use peat smoked malt because they think it gives the beer a scotch flavor. But the story spreads. Now its expected that Scottish ale has smoke. When its pointed out that they actually dont use it, the lore spreads to the yeast throwing a smoke ester... or maybe its from roasted grain, or maybe this or that. Maybe they actually dont have any smoke charater at all. Apparently its near impossible to kill some myths. Like Guiness putting rotten beer in their batches to get that sour flavor. Maybe its just dry? No sour beer, or road kill added.

One day ill have to go to the UK if for no other reason but to taste these fresh and see for myself.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:28:06 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 05:23:10 am »
Littering! Think that doesn't relate to beer and brewing? Most of the cans I pick up are light beer cans. Bud Light the clear winner although recently there has beena  surge of Coors light bottles. A$$H0LES!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 05:42:43 am »
Littering! Think that doesn't relate to beer and brewing? Most of the cans I pick up are light beer cans. Bud Light the clear winner although recently there has beena  surge of Coors light bottles. A$$H0LES!

+1. Around here it's keystone or blue mountains (same same) only people from Montana drink bud light.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 06:04:08 am »
The idea that rarity/scarcity makes it a good beer.  Standing in line for hours to get a taste of some rare beer. Lots of them are very good but just because production is small doesn't make it better. 

Agreed!

I'm getting real tired of certain non-beer friends harassing me about why I don't wait/pay for Westy 12, Dark Lord, etc, etc, etc. Fun fact: I have 50 gallons of borderline excellent beer in my basement that I made for less than I would pay for eight Westy 12s. I don't think I need the trouble!   ;D

One more of my own: I was at a work conference over the weekend. I declined to drink whatever beer it was in a green bottle. A man came up to me, described himself as a 'beer guy', and then asked why I wouldn't drink the green-bottled beer. I told him that I did not enjoy skunked beer. He looked at me funny and asked what I meant. I told him, "When beer is packaged in green bottles it is not protected from UV light, which degrades the iso-alpha acids in the beer into an unpleasant aroma that smells like a skunk. So I'd rather have a different beer." He told me that was and interesting theory, chuckled, and then started rambling about how he loved Yuengling - which was packaged in a green bottle.  ::) Nothing much you can do there.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Pet Peeves
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 06:32:36 am »
Inexplicable fanboyism. Mentioned yuengling, another is shiner.

Edit - forgot to list Abita.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:38:55 am by Steve in TX »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 06:42:59 am »
+1 to all of these. I bought ( and overpaid) for Westy12. It's great, and also no better than Rochefort10 or St Bernardus12 . Same goes for Dark Lord and other stouts. Pliny is great fresh, and not much better (if any) IMO than a few other breweries' IPAs. And Yuengling speaks for itself, if not very strongly. Fanboy sites suck. Wow....feel better.     ;)
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:49:32 am »
People want stuff that's hard to get, and they want to be the first to get it, and they want to overpay. If the best beer was 50 cents a can and available in every country, it would be scoffed as Crap!

To segue two peeves, if bud could not be sold outside of st Lois and every ditch had an empty cantillion bottle laying in it...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:52:43 am by klickitat jim »

Offline stevenb

• Cellarman
  • Aurora, CO
    • Baker's Beer Production and Reviews
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 07:34:51 am »
I hate it when I give non-craft beer drinkers some homebrew and they say, "You made that?  Did you make it in the bathtub?"  My reply is usually, "I did make that.  I hope the soap I used doesn't make it taste funny."  And then I have to try and explain my brewing process to someone that doesn't have any idea what I am talking about, but I feel it is better to educate the non-educated and move on.
Member, Aurora City Brew Club
Homebrewing goes from hobby to obsession faster than anything I know!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 07:47:39 am »
The seemingly inverse relationship between the willingness of beer snobs on certain beer-related websites to pontificate and their knowledge about the subjects upon which they pontificate.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 07:55:44 am »
And I'm speechless, I really thought it was spelled acetylaldehyde!

I'm getting real tired of certain non-beer friends harassing me about why I don't wait/pay for Westy 12, Dark Lord, etc, etc, etc. Fun fact: I have 50 gallons of borderline excellent beer in my basement that I made for less than I would pay for eight Westy 12s. I don't think I need the trouble!   ;D

My MO at beer festivals is to go with the shortest lines. I really don't care what awesome beer is being tapped, this unknown brewery's hefeweizen will do just fine.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 08:04:32 am »

+1. Around here it's keystone or blue mountains (same same) only people from Montana drink bud light.

hey. i am moving to montana, or maybe vancouver washington. still trying to decide.  gotsta get out of illinois
Don AHA member

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 08:51:44 am »

hey. i am moving to montana, or maybe vancouver washington. still trying to decide.  gotsta get out of illinois

Go for Vancouver.  Portland has a great beer scene. 

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 09:07:31 am »

Yes! Or the scourge of the urban American Landscape. The spent cigarette butt. 
What the he!! makes people think it's OK to just toss those out ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE? 
Take a look down on your next walk around and it'll piss you right off. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified