Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 10426 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 09:29:07 am »
Littering! Think that doesn't relate to beer and brewing? Most of the cans I pick up are light beer cans. Bud Light the clear winner although recently there has beena  surge of Coors light bottles. A$$H0LES!

Yes! Or the scourge of the urban American Landscape. The spent cigarette butt. 
What the he!! makes people think it's OK to just toss those out ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE? 
Take a look down on your next walk around and it'll piss you right off.

When I was 16, and a seasonal worker at a state park, it was my job to pick up every cigarette butt in every parking lot and picnick area. It was awful. I also developed a strong hatred for fisherman who couldn't throw anything into a garbage can, except fish they didn't want. Yeah, there was a lot of bmc cans floating around.
Kyle M.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 09:41:06 am »
I don't like spices or fruit in most beers. If I want the taste of fruit in beer I'll add a few drops of blackberry or maybe raspberry in a light style of beer like Wheat or Blonde Ale. I'm kind of a purist in that way. If I want spice I eat cookies or a piece of apple pie with a dark beer. Exceptions to this are beers like Saisons, I don't mind some fruit or spice in these because the Belgian funk seem to go well with these flavors. And as Major and Micsager said littering. I live in the Midwest and it's pretty dry right now. The highway I live on has burned areas along the road from dumb asses throwing their cigarettes out the window.      ONLY TRASH LITTERS!  bumper sticker I seen a while back says it all.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 11:40:12 am »
On the subject of fruit....my pet peeve is ordering a pint of beer, and getting a slice of fruit on the glass.  Lemon for weissbier, orange for wit.  Ask me if I want the fruit, so I can say "no".

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 11:56:41 am »
My peeve is restaurants that have a beer list that reads: "Light lager, Light lager, Light lager, Light lager, Light lager, Light lager, Blue Moon.

They think they have a good selection for beer drinkers.  I frequently point out that they are all the basically same style, and I just get that look, coupled with silence.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 12:52:41 pm »
False pints. Pint is a unit of measure, not a shape. If a place calls it a pint, I expect a pint.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 01:42:35 pm »
Littering! Think that doesn't relate to beer and brewing? Most of the cans I pick up are light beer cans. Bud Light the clear winner although recently there has beena  surge of Coors light bottles. A$$H0LES!

+1. Around here it's keystone or blue mountains (same same) only people from Montana drink bud light.

hey. i am moving to montana, or maybe vancouver washington. still trying to decide.  gotsta get out of illinois

Go for Vancouver.  Portland has a great beer scene.

yeah there is that.  more of my wife's family live in that area than montana, but way less populated in montana.
Don AHA member

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 01:51:11 pm »
If you want to live in illinois move to vancouver, id chose eastern Montana.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 02:20:33 pm »
Overly complicated beers. Yaaah... this is my double dark chocolate mocha raspberry vanilla bourbon oaked imperial brown ale... I won a ribbon at a charity event entered in the 23 Specialty beer category... my girlfriend loves it.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 02:26:04 pm »
Overly complicated beers. Yaaah... this is my double dark chocolate mocha raspberry vanilla bourbon oaked imperial brown ale... I won a ribbon at a charity event entered in the 23 Specialty beer category... my girlfriend loves it.

OK that too.  Very funny.  We all have met that guy.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 02:43:22 pm »
If you want to live in illinois move to vancouver, id chose eastern Montana.

bought property in dillon montana.  next door to my sister/brother in law.  about an hour out of butte.  just not sure if making the move there.  vancouver i am sure would be similar to here in illinois, but at least family there also and no income tax.  will be deciding in next few months
Don AHA member

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 03:01:14 pm »
My big one is people that are into the "craft beer scene" and spend a whole lot of time worrying about what other people drink and bagging on them for it. Why should I care if someone wants to drink a light lager? Same people usually spend way to much time bragging about the beer collection too. 

In homebrewing drives me nuts when people insist that their way of brewing is the only way to make great beer (you can only use glass or fly sparge etc). As a wise man once said… "There are many ways to the top of the mountain."

Offline deathlylost

• Cellarman
    • 1000 Bottles of Beer
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 03:42:11 pm »

False pints. Pint is a unit of measure, not a shape. If a place calls it a pint, I expect a pint.

+1

Hear hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 03:42:30 pm »

OK that too.  Very funny.  We all have met that guy.

or that brewery.  I can name 2 off the top of my head.

while I love the craft beer movement, am getting tired of the scene nowadays.  that disaster at hunaphu day, in my opinion, is a microcosm of what's kind of getting out of hand.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Stevie

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 03:49:52 pm »
Whooping and yelling when some drunkard drops his glass after drinking his 20th sample of "whatever has the most alcohol" at a beer festival.

Make that $50 all you can drink beer festivals period. I am way more inclined to attend a tap takeover or pint night over $50 day drinking.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 05:35:41 pm »
+1 to all the pretentious BS in craft beer. The breweries (and their beers) don't need to be elitist - just be good or better and worth the $$ charged. And +1 to the stupid all you can drink festivals. I gave those up years ago. It's not even about quality for most of the guys - it's a glorified frat party with pretzel necklaces.
Jon H.