Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 10574 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »
I'll never find out, as they closed down.

Unfortunate, as they had an excellent bottle selection and Old Rasputin on tap.

I'm not sure they're closed for good, but hours and ownership got squirrely and they're no longer on my short list.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2014, 05:46:13 pm »
I'll never find out, as they closed down.

Unfortunate, as they had an excellent bottle selection and Old Rasputin on tap.

I'm not sure they're closed for good, but hours and ownership got squirrely and they're no longer on my short list.
Well, that explains a lot.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2014, 06:58:56 am »
I find homebrewers who come into a brewery and think they know more about brewing beer than the head brewer extremely annoying and far too common.

If it is any consolation, that guy has already annoyed everybody else in the room before he got to you.
I make an effort not to be "that guy".

+1 Same here.  I go to a brewpub where I know the brewer, and he'll often ask my impression of a beer, and I give it when asked. But I wouldn't march in and presume to second guess a guy, or feel I needed to pepper him with half a$$ed questions, like some. When I go to a brewpub for the first time, I get the sampler flight of whatever is offered. Tells me everything I need to know about the place (and the guy).

I did this at a new brewery here in nebraska, first time there and had a flight, they all tasted terrible. I wanted to tell him but he never came over and asked how they were so I kept my mouth shut.

The difference here is, non of our beers are terrible. ;) Criticism is one thing, taking on a false pretense that you are more educated than the guy brewing the beer is something else. Most homebrewers would have no idea how to make beer on a commercial level.

I should add, 99% of the homebrewers I meet are super cool and very appreciative of my beer. I get homebrewers coming in to bring me a new homebrew to try about once a week. Some of my best friends are homebrewers. But every now and then there's one guy who is going to criticize everything because "he could do it better" or "this isn't to style" or whatever. come on - you guys all have that guy in your homebrew club, right?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:07:46 am by majorvices »

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2014, 10:19:10 am »

In homebrewing drives me nuts when people insist that their way of brewing is the only way to make great beer (you can only use glass or fly sparge etc). As a wise man once said… "There are many ways to the top of the mountain."

I'm with ya on this one.  +1000

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2014, 10:56:47 am »
I should add, 99% of the homebrewers I meet are super cool and very appreciative of my beer. I get homebrewers coming in to bring me a new homebrew to try about once a week. Some of my best friends are homebrewers. But every now and then there's one guy who is going to criticize everything because "he could do it better" or "this isn't to style" or whatever. come on - you guys all have that guy in your homebrew club, right?

I have a few who think, or rather thought, that I was that guy.  Because they see me saying that at a competition, all the time.  They were surprised to see me say otherwise when tasting commercial beer and visiting commercial breweries.  C'mon guys, this isn't a competition.  They're trying to make delicious beer that people want to buy at a price that lets them make a living, and have succeeded.  Arguing about whether or not it hits the robust porter guidelines as a measure of the quality of the brewery is pointless.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2014, 11:38:52 am »

I was recently on a very awkward situation.  I was at a party with 2 of the owners of a new brewery, one of whom I know pretty well.  he' a real beer geek and really likes my beers.  They have just started brewing so he brought 3 of their beers along for me to try.  Some sort of amber that had heavy notes of banana and bubblegum, a pale that was OK but nothing special and a stout that was pretty good.  He knew there was something wrong with the amber and asked me about it.  Now, I have never met their brewer.  All I know is that he used to brew at Trumer, which to me implies a certain level of competence.  Si, I had to stand there and guess what might be wrong, what he might have done that caused it, and how to correct it.  I used a lot of "maybe", "possibly", "might "have" kind of stuff.  I didn't want to diss the guy to his boss when I really knew nothing more than the beer wasn't supposed to be like that.  It was kinda unpleasant.  I felt like "that guy", but I was being asked to be him!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2014, 01:05:19 pm »
I guess it is different if there really is something flawed with the beer. I'm talking about needlessly nit picking. Not finding an obvious off flavor. I'm sure that if any of you guys visited my tap room you'd find that we are putting out some very nice beers. Don't want to give the impression that we are serving a bunch of flawed beers that homebrewers are coming in and spitting out. ;)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2014, 01:17:42 pm »

They're trying to make delicious beer that people want to buy at a price that lets them make a living, and have succeeded.  Arguing about whether or not it hits the robust porter guidelines as a measure of the quality of the brewery is pointless.

+1.  Brewing for comps (and to style) is one thing - the expectation to hit styles is obviously the criteria.  But in a brewpub I could care less if the beer hits the guidelines to the letter. It should be recognizeable as what it's called on the menu, but I like to see a brewer's take on a given beer style more than crunching numbers for style.
Jon H.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2014, 06:03:01 am »

They're trying to make delicious beer that people want to buy at a price that lets them make a living, and have succeeded.  Arguing about whether or not it hits the robust porter guidelines as a measure of the quality of the brewery is pointless.

+1.  Brewing for comps (and to style) is one thing - the expectation to hit styles is obviously the criteria.  But in a brewpub I could care less if the beer hits the guidelines to the letter. It should be recognizeable as what it's called on the menu, but I like to see a brewer's take on a given beer style more than crunching numbers for style.

I agree.  I don't give a crap about style unless it is for competition.  I like tasty beer, regardless of style or whatever. :)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2014, 10:48:33 am »
When people start a sentence with so, or I mean.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2014, 03:27:20 pm »

So I do that all the time.  I mean I am kind of offended.

Seriously though, I am frequently tempted to do this in an attempt to convey a 'conversational tone.'  I agree that it is incorrect - hopefully I catch most of them.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2014, 06:37:44 pm »

Seriously though, I am frequently tempted to do this in an attempt to convey a 'conversational tone.'  I agree that it is incorrect - hopefully I catch most of them.

So, yeah. I mean .... I hate that....

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2014, 06:40:07 pm »
Forum should be conversational tone. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2014, 06:49:46 pm »

+1.  I mean, so,umm............+1 anyway.         ;)
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2014, 06:55:55 pm »

+1.  I mean, so,umm............+1 anyway.         ;)

Lol! Errr , yeah, I hate that too. So... Lol!and emoticons are for 13 year old girls! ;)