Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coconut porter recipe?  (Read 19603 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Re: Coconut porter recipe?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 08:26:38 pm »
Belated update... I used 2 pounds of lightly toasted organic coconut in a 3-gallon batch of porter. The bad news: the coconut soaked up a lot of porter. The good news: wonderful coconut flavor and a silky mouthfeel similar to oatmeal. I wanted to see how the coconut stood up to the porter, but next time I'll add chocolate.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 08:38:31 pm »
Right on! I'll bet it's awesome!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 09:29:31 pm »
That coconut needs to find it's way into a cake or pie.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 09:43:48 am »

I cannot lie: sampling that coconut was awesome. I wish I had thought of it because yes, using a cup or two of the "squeezings" in a cake would have been wonderful.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 11:56:13 am »

I cannot lie: sampling that coconut was awesome. I wish I had thought of it because yes, using a cup or two of the "squeezings" in a cake would have been wonderful.

You can put those ale-sogged coconut flakes in a daily smoothie.  Buzzing those up in a vitamix or ninja will add a luscious body to the veggie/fruit blend, plus any settled yeast will provide a B vitamin boost.

Smoothie is a quick and lovely destination for nearly all yeast-munched fruit.  Fed the goji berries from my blonde fermentation into a few days worth of drinks.  Trashing them would have been a travesty.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 12:00:12 pm »

You can put those ale-sogged coconut flakes in a daily smoothie.  Buzzing those up in a vitamix or ninja will add a luscious body to the veggie/fruit blend, plus any settled yeast will provide a B vitamin boost.

Smoothie is a quick and lovely destination for nearly all yeast-munched fruit.  Fed the goji berries from my blonde fermentation into a few days worth of drinks.  Trashing them would have been a travesty.

Ah yes, throwing back a pint of beer smoothie and then heading out for my two-county commute in an urban area with a major, always-busy bridge between me and my day job... what could possibly go wrong? ;-)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline zephyr_brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 10:40:30 am »
I wouldn't use coconut in the primary.  No way for you to control the flavor impact.  I generally add toasted coconut to the secondary in my 5-0 Hawaiian Porter.  It also has cacao nibs and Hawaiian coffee in it.  Not sure if that is a deal breaker for you?  I would be happy to share the recipe.

Not a deal breaker -- I haven't used a secondary in several years but I certainly could. I like the additions (I do stouts with cocoa-coffee). Would love the recipe.

Matter of semantics.  I should have been more specific.  I place all the ingredients in the keg, that way I can taste the flavor development.  Generally I save some of the initial beer to blend back in because I usually lose a half gallon or so of beer from all the ingredients.

5-0 Hawaiian Porter

6 gallons post boil
60 min boil
1.064 OG
Mash 154F

70% 2-Row
12% Munich
8%  C-60L
6% Chocolate Malt
4%  Carafa III

38 IBUs 60 min
14g Williamette/5 IBUs @ 30min

Ale yeast ( I prefer WLP007 but have brewed with chico before)
* I use the coffee and cacao nibs to develop some of the natural porter character so that it is not over the top roasty.  Never done a normal robust porter with this recipe, but would work.  Maybe dial back the cacao nibs and coffee if so?

In keg/secondary
6 oz Cacao nibs
24 oz Coconut flakes ( can be divided or added all at once, I have done both)
1.5-2 oz coffee of choice, dry beaned.  I use Kona
1 vanilla bean (rounds out the flavors)

Also, 16 fluid oz. of cold steeped coffee.

I systematically pull the additions when they are the flavor profile I prefer.  Coffee and vanilla generally 4 days.  Cacao nibs are usually 4-7 days.  I find the coconut is the most variable ingredient.  Did this recipe 3 weeks ago.  Added all 24oz of coconut due to time limitations.  Pulled the coconut after 4.5 days. The initial recipe was 16oz x 2 wks.  Then another 8oz. for a week.

Cacao nibs and coconut were toasted in the oven.  House smells fantastic when this happens!  Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out!

This recipe in the 3 comps I have entered has finished no worse than 3rd place BOS.  Winning twice.  Goes over well at festivals also.

i've got a total newbie question on this recipe since i'm, well, a newbie.  it says 38 ibu 60 min but it doesn't say what kind of hop or how much for the 60 minute addition.
is the 14g of williamette going to give you enough total bitterness.  14g is only .5 oz.  which is half a package of hops.
for the 38 ibu aren't you going to need something else?

Thanks for the help!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 11:49:25 am »
I wouldn't use coconut in the primary.  No way for you to control the flavor impact.  I generally add toasted coconut to the secondary in my 5-0 Hawaiian Porter.  It also has cacao nibs and Hawaiian coffee in it.  Not sure if that is a deal breaker for you?  I would be happy to share the recipe.

Not a deal breaker -- I haven't used a secondary in several years but I certainly could. I like the additions (I do stouts with cocoa-coffee). Would love the recipe.

Matter of semantics.  I should have been more specific.  I place all the ingredients in the keg, that way I can taste the flavor development.  Generally I save some of the initial beer to blend back in because I usually lose a half gallon or so of beer from all the ingredients.

5-0 Hawaiian Porter

6 gallons post boil
60 min boil
1.064 OG
Mash 154F

70% 2-Row
12% Munich
8%  C-60L
6% Chocolate Malt
4%  Carafa III

38 IBUs 60 min

* I use the coffee and cacao nibs to develop some of the natural porter character so that it is not over the top roasty.  Never done a normal robust porter with this recipe, but would work.  Maybe dial back the cacao nibs and coffee if so?

In keg/secondary
6 oz Cacao nibs

I systematically pull the additions when they are the flavor profile I prefer.  Coffee and vanilla generally 4 days.  Cacao nibs are usually 4-7 days.  I find the coconut is the most variable ingredient.  Did this recipe 3 weeks ago.  Added all 24oz of coconut due to time limitations.  Pulled the coconut after 4.5 days. The initial recipe was 16oz x 2 wks.  Then another 8oz. for a week.

Cacao nibs and coconut were toasted in the oven.  House smells fantastic when this happens!  Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out!

This recipe in the 3 comps I have entered has finished no worse than 3rd place BOS.  Winning twice.  Goes over well at festivals also.

i've got a total newbie question on this recipe since i'm, well, a newbie.  it says 38 ibu 60 min but it doesn't say what kind of hop or how much for the 60 minute addition.
is the 14g of williamette going to give you enough total bitterness.  14g is only .5 oz.  which is half a package of hops.

Thanks for the help!

in this case because you don't care about anything but bitterness the type of hop doesn't really matter, you want a high alpha, neutral hop.

how to calculate IBUs is covered here pretty well
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html

but honestly I would use software or online calculators but I'm lazy.

so no, the Willamette is not going to give you 38 IBU it is going to give you ~5 IBU when Added at 30 minutes. as indicated in the recipe.

Get some magnum or bravo or something similarly high alpha% for the bittering charge so you don't need to use very much.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline zephyr_brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 10:26:57 am »
Got another newbie question about this recipe.  I've got it in the primary and am about to transfer to the secondary.  How do you add the coconut to the secondary?  Do you just dump the flakes in or do you put them in something so that you can take them out easily when the flavor is where you want it?

Thanks!

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 01:02:44 pm »
Add it to the secondary and then bottle or transfer to keg when you get the taste you want. You could add the coconut in a bag. Boil only the bag to sanitize it, add your coconut put it in the secondary and fish it out when it tastes how you want it.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 02:23:31 pm »
Add it to the secondary and then bottle or transfer to keg when you get the taste you want. You could add the coconut in a bag. Boil only the bag to sanitize it, add your coconut put it in the secondary and fish it out when it tastes how you want it.
This^^^

Word of caution, it's a PIA pulling out that much coconut thru that little hole in the keg.  Easier transfer off to a second keg and then remove the coconut from the empty keg.

It's a lot of work, but it's worth it in the end.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 02:24:10 pm »

5-0 Hawaiian Porter

6 gallons post boil
60 min boil
1.064 OG
Mash 154F

70% 2-Row
12% Munich
8%  C-60L
6% Chocolate Malt
4%  Carafa III

38 IBUs 60 min

In keg/secondary
6 oz Cacao nibs

Thanks for the help!

in this case because you don't care about anything but bitterness the type of hop doesn't really matter, you want a high alpha, neutral hop.

how to calculate IBUs is covered here pretty well
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html

but honestly I would use software or online calculators but I'm lazy.

so no, the Willamette is not going to give you 38 IBU it is going to give you ~5 IBU when Added at 30 minutes. as indicated in the recipe.

Get some magnum or bravo or something similarly high alpha% for the bittering charge so you don't need to use very much.

Bingo! ;)