Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The false economy of a used refrigerator or freezer  (Read 3607 times)

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
Re: The false economy of a used refrigerator or freezer
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 01:33:53 pm »
I have a '50's refrig that I use for fermenting, with an external temp controller. But it's only plugged in when fermenting, doesn't run all the time. So I hate to get rid of it.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 02:12:46 pm »
I upgraded last summer when my Electric Company paid $35 for my old chest freezer (1990 or so) and took it away for free.  The free delivery on the brand new "dinged" floor model (with a Energy Star rating) and the energy savings projected was going to pay for itself in about 15 months.  It rarely runs compared to the old one.  I may do another one this summer if they have the program again, but this time I'll do a collar project and serve from it - easier to load and unload than messing with my 4 keg refrigerator set up with a back row...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 12:49:19 am »
I have been very happy with my new 7.2 energy eff model but now realize I will need another to ferment in: too many homebrew and store bought already in the new temp controlled freezer! Gotta start drinking more or giving away more of my home brew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)