Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How To Clean Bottles For Your Homebrew  (Read 9255 times)

Offline rkausch

• 1st Kit
Re: How To Clean Bottles For Your Homebrew
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 11:15:59 am »
Mike-
  I've used the sanitize setting on my dishwasher for quite a while now, and have had mixed results.  Here's my process, though I'm going to tweak it with your oxiclean setup.

1.  Rinse bottles as they are used.  Alternately, for the bottles with the crud, rinse with hot water (I have no kids, and can set the water heater to 150 degrees) and scrub until you see no more crud inside.
2.  Run through dishwasher with sanitize setting.  I usually do this with about 6 bottles at a time (as we consume the beer), and store them until brew day.
3.  On brew day, sanitize bottles using star san run through a vinator thingy, or dip soak them in a bucket full of star san.

Rob

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2010, 11:33:20 am »
I've always been afraid that the "rinse - aid" in the dishwasher would hurt foam retention.  Has that been a problem?

(I've never let is stop me from putting my other glassware in the dishmasher)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:42:11 am by BrewArk »
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline rkausch

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 11:35:16 am »
I actually didn't think of that.  I have had very inconsistent results with head retention, I wonder if that's the cause?  I'll have to try the next batch without using the dishwasher and see if I get a different outcome.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 11:39:38 am »
I actually didn't think of that.  I have had very inconsistent results with head retention, I wonder if that's the cause?  I'll have to try the next batch without using the dishwasher and see if I get a different outcome.

Maybe, but it could be your fermentation practices, too.  Here's a great article with some troubleshooting tips....

http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2010, 01:38:20 pm »
I've always been afraid that the "rinse - aid" in the dishwasher would hurt foam retention.

BTW, most of the time I wash my glasses in the dishwasher including the rinse aid and I don't notice bad head retention.

Kai

Offline sheets

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2010, 03:47:00 pm »
hot oxy clean and bleach bath overnight almost always does the trick. pretty crazy watchin what happens to the oxy clean/water solution once u pour a little bleach in too  ;)

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
    • BrewArk
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2010, 06:46:39 pm »
hot oxy clean and bleach bath overnight almost always does the trick. pretty crazy watchin what happens to the oxy clean/water solution once u pour a little bleach in too  ;)

It may not be intuitive, but (hypochlorite) bleach and peroxide (the active in peroxygen bleaches like oxyclean) deactivate each other:
OCI- + H2O2 → CI- + H2O + O2

What you get is a release of oxygen gas & salt water if your ratio is "right".

Na Zdraví

Offline brewbeard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 06:17:11 pm »
Besides deactivating each other, bleach plus oxiclean is potentially dangerous, according to this website:

Can I use it with Chlorine Bleach?

No! Oxiclean is a bleach alternative and works by itself. Do not mix it with bleach as they will neutralize each other and can create dangerous gases and heat. If mixed in a poorly ventilated room, breathing the fumes created by this mixture can be fatal.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
    • BrewArk
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2010, 03:59:10 pm »
I don't know about fatal.  If they are offering a wager - take it.  You'd have to bring the pH down below neutral to release any chlorine gas.  Maybe they can (pretend to) do that on TV, but you & I are safe.  Last time I checked, oxygen wouldn't be fatal by itself.  As far as the heat goes, it wouldn't be as big a deal as the frothing from the gas being evolved.  The worst thing likely to happen would be burping some of the solution into one's eyes, where they'd likely suffer some irritation.

Can I use it with Chlorine Bleach?

No! Oxiclean is a bleach alternative and works by itself. Do not mix it with bleach as they will neutralize each other and can create dangerous gases and heat. If mixed in a poorly ventilated room, breathing the fumes created by this mixture can be fatal.

Na Zdraví