Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FWH vs. hop stand... or both  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
FWH vs. hop stand... or both
« on: March 27, 2014, 11:13:45 am »
Hi all. I personally have only ever done the typical Bittering/aroma additions to the boil but I'm brewing an American Amber tomorrow with 34 IBU's and was looking to try something different. I'm bittering with Chinook and using Cascade and Willamette aroma hops. My recipe calls for a 60 minute addition of the Chinook and a 10 minutes hop stand of the aroma. I'm thinking about trying the FWH with all of the Chinook and doing the hop stand with the aroma. I've read that some people do 30% FWH of ALL hops including aroma while others do some or all of just the bittering hops. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the pros or cons of this approach.

Thanks,
Stevo
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: FWH vs. hop stand... or both
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 11:22:30 am »
I'm not familiar enough with chinook to speak to it as  a FWH option. You will get a decent amount of flavor out of a FWH so that's something to think about in terms of which hops you use for that addition.

When i make an IPA I do a FWH, 60 minute, and flameout/steep/hop stand. I use the same hops throughout although I will sometimes use some high alpha neutral hops at the 60 minute point. I get lot's of flavour and aroma from both the FWH and hop stand.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 11:46:23 am »
Chinook makes a great FWH.  That said, I don't consider FWH to be a substitute for a bittering addition.  To me, it's another way of doing what would be a 20 minute-ish flavor addition.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 12:08:37 pm »
steve

I've done all FWH and Whirlpool for an IPA before.  I liked it - lots of hop flavor and aroma (dryhopped too though which is a different variable) but it did have a softer bitterness, and I like more bite in American style ales.

that said, i do FWH/Whirlpool only, using the bittering charge as FWH on a lot of my german lagers now and it lands me right exactly where I want to be.

i say try it and see what you think!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 01:31:18 pm »
I feel an experiment coming on! I'll have to brew this one time with 30% of my bittering hops as a FWH and then brew another batch using all of the bittering as a FWH, then compare. I'm hopelessly hooked on brewing... Damn good thing.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 08:54:07 am »
I agree with Denny. You do get bitterness out of the FWH but it isn't the perceivable bitterness you get out of an early boil addition. It's a great technique paired with a bittering charge but I wouldn't rely on the FWH for all the bittering in any beer that needs noticeable bitterness.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing