Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing water  (Read 5695 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Brewing water
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 07:25:02 pm »
Gail,

You have a good water source that you can diltue with RO or distilled.  There several programs that will predict for you, as you probably know.  We both know some people who get "City" water (i.e. Detroit) when they can.

Jeff
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 06:51:57 am »
Jeff--have the programs and have diluted with distilled, just not quite the clean outcome I want.  I'll keep reading and "playing" (AKA brewing).  Palmer's RA spreadsheet is the one I've been using over the last year + and that has gotten me much closer, a noticeable improvement.  Maybe I'll have to get some more tips from AABG!  With your water source being Village well, I see why you're using RO and building from there.  Our City water makes fantastic light ambers to stouts with minimal adjustments (OK, so there are some advantages to living in metro Detroit).
Gail

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 07:31:24 am »
Gail, I live in Flint which gets it's water from the Detroit system and I usually dilute my water with RO to 50% for most beers between 6-13 SRM. I have noticed during the winter though that my mash ph has been lower which would mean my bi-carb values are down and the water has less buffering capability. I brewed a Stout with 100% my water a month ago and the ph is usually spot on but I had to add some CaCO3 to the mash to raise the ph a little. First time I've ever had to do that.

Oh, and I always add about a teaspoon of gypsum to the boil for my IPAs. I don't know my sulfate level but I think it makes the bitterness much more "clean" tasting.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 11:35:16 am »
Hooray!  ;D    Hooray!  ;D     Hooray!  ;D          

Got my RO unit installed over the weekend. Man that water sure tastes great!

Planning on diluting 50% and brewing a 10 SRM batch this weekend- which I haven't been able to do to my satisfaction in years...

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 06:41:19 pm »
Gail, I live in Flint which gets it's water from the Detroit system and I usually dilute my water with RO to 50% for most beers between 6-13 SRM. I have noticed during the winter though that my mash ph has been lower which would mean my bi-carb values are down and the water has less buffering capability. I brewed a Stout with 100% my water a month ago and the ph is usually spot on but I had to add some CaCO3 to the mash to raise the ph a little. First time I've ever had to do that.

Oh, and I always add about a teaspoon of gypsum to the boil for my IPAs. I don't know my sulfate level but I think it makes the bitterness much more "clean" tasting.
The last info I got on our Detroit city water was Spring 2009, sulfates at 31 ppm.  That was from Springwells plant which supplies my area.  I'm pleasantly surprised Flint gets Detroit water.  Jeff is right: our city water is great for most beer styles and stouts need just a little adjustment.  Time to get another city water analysis which should be available soon.  I'm reading another thread about Best vs. Weyermann malts and am wondering if the issues I'm having with lighter SRM beers is really about the malt and not the water (I have diluted and not gotten the clean, malty results I've wanted).  I love this hobby.  So many variables.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 01:28:33 pm »
Drank a couple of gallons of excess Brown-ale I just kegged earlier this week. For the first time I used 25% R/O water to dilute. Even though the beer was only 11 day old it was very good. I designed this beer around the mash water and the RA. There's none of the odd harshness I used to see in some of my other batches even though I'm using pretty much the same ingredients.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis