Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitizing buckets  (Read 3213 times)

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Sanitizing buckets
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 06:35:26 am »
I also just spray down the inside of the bucket. With better bottles and my smaller five liter glass jugs I dump some sanitizer in the vessel and roll it around/shake to cover the interior because I can't get in there and make sure I've sprayed down the entire surface.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline sdevries42

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 08:21:00 am »
I usually put 1-2 gal of starsan solution in the fermenting bucket and use that to sanitize during the brew. When it comes time to rack into the primary fermenter, I roll and shake the bucket with the solution to make sure it comes into contact with all sides. Haven't had any problems with that as of yet.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 08:57:54 pm »
I agree with cleaning really well and then using the sprayer.  I make sure my gear is super clean.  Then it's pretty easy to just spritz it down while rotating the bucket.  By the time you're all the way around, you'll have enough in there to slosh around with the lid on.  But honestly, a foam coating is A-ok. 

On the other hand, you'll never kick yourself for being too thorough with sanitation. 

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 01:20:22 pm »
I have a dedicated 5 gal bucket with a gamma lid for my StarSan.  After my bucket is clean, I use my auto-siphon (which has been soaking in the SS bucket along with the hose) to siphon all the SS from its home into the fermenter.  I slosh it around and then pour it back, rotating the fermenter as I go.  It sounds like a painus (and way overkill) but it's mostly hands-off time while I'm attending to other things.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 05:19:41 am »
As others have said: the key is CLEAN. Sanitation is really just a precaution. Coating the surface is all you need. Be sure you sanitizer is effective by the RO trick or by mixing up fresh just before it is time to sanitize. If it looks dirty or grungy or extremely cloudy mix up fresh.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 11:30:02 am »
I do whatever is convenient; usually the spray bottle is impossible to find, but my bucket of StarSan is hard to miss.  If I spray, I dump the rinsate down the drain.  If I put in a "bunch," I'll pour the rinsate back into my StarSan bucket.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 07:15:46 pm »
As others have said: the key is CLEAN. Sanitation is really just a precaution. Coating the surface is all you need. Be sure you sanitizer is effective by the RO trick or by mixing up fresh just before it is time to sanitize. If it looks dirty or grungy or extremely cloudy mix up fresh.
This is me as well. For the most part, I only use a bucket for bottling. When I'm done, I fill it with PBW or oxyclean and soak it along with all my other implements. Then I store it in a new trashbag to keep it dust free til next use. For sanitizing, I fill it with enough starsan to completely cover the spigot opening. then I swirl it around a bit and coat as much as I can. I'm a bit of a klutz and I tend to spill if I swirl too much so I just spray the top part of the bucket liberally, It all gets drained back into my starsan bottle in the end.  ;)
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 08:21:32 pm »
I used to swish.

Make sure it's clean first.

When needed use a clean surgical sponge (soft cheese cloth) to topically apply starsan to the interior of both lid and bucket. Drain out excess.

Done.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis