Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Cleaning ... and more  (Read 1190 times)

Offline sourbone

• 1st Kit
Keg Cleaning ... and more
« on: April 02, 2014, 05:20:42 am »
I assume this topic appeared a couple of time in the past, but here it is again ... what would be the best cleaning product to let sit in a dirty keg. I don't mind rubbing a bit, but I'm worried about the siphon tube cleanliness. Same thing for plastic beer line and faucet, is it the same product. Being in the subject, I'd also like to do a big cleaning of my plate chiller, my silicon tubing and my marsh pump ... how do you proceed with that?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Keg Cleaning ... and more
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 05:25:16 am »
Hot PBW works well. You can also make your own with 2/3 oxiclean and 1/3 TSP substitute. Disassemble the dip tube let it soak, then rinse it and the keg with hot water and push sanitizer out of dip tube when you sanitize the keg for final rinse/sanitation.

Hot PBW recirced reverse through chiller will work well. Be sure to pump boiling water through it, or boil the entire contraption, or bake, before each use.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Keg Cleaning ... and more
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 07:36:33 am »
I will usually take apart the keg and toss the parts into it, add hot water and OXY and allow to soak, then rinse. I will then assemble the keg, add hot water and OXY again and run through the taps and lines, then repeat the process with Star San to sanitize prior to racking the beer for set up. I'll usually take a brush to the dip tube as well.

I'm also sure to use keg lube on all the gaskets during assembly and obviously check for any leaks prior to racking and set up.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010