Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sulfate Iso-Alpha Acid Extraction  (Read 1118 times)

Offline wsoublo

• Cellarman
Sulfate Iso-Alpha Acid Extraction
« on: March 30, 2014, 06:54:52 pm »
I'm using a few guides to help prepare my answers for all possible technical questions on the BJCP written exam.

I keep seeing sulfate ion listed as improving iso-alpha acid extraction in one of the guides.  However, the guide doesn't provide any reference or mechanism description.  Also, I can't find any mechanism to explain the improved extraction on Google.  I did find a patent, but it didn't list a mechanism as far as I could tell.

I understand that sulfate lends a dryness to beer and somewhat astringent taste at higher levels, but this is different from actually increasing iso-AA solubility in wort/beer. 

Does anyone have any insight?  Thanks.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Sulfate Iso-Alpha Acid Extraction
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:48:12 pm »
My guess, someone is using an overly fancy term. I'll bet they are talking about SO4 enhancing pereption of bitterness.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 12:44:35 am »
I'm with Jim.  I've never heard of it improving extraction.  Enhancing perception, yes.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:08:10 am »
That is a new one on me. I had not heard of sulfate improving the extraction of iso-alpha acids, but I'm not going to dismiss that it may or may not exist. I do know that sulfate helps dry the palate and that has the effect of improving the perception of bittering to the drinker.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks