Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cent / Amarillo IPA  (Read 1989 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
Cent / Amarillo IPA
« on: May 13, 2014, 01:59:54 pm »
I have a basic IPA recipe that I throw different hops into. 24# Pale Malt, 2# C-40 for a 10 gallon batch. I've had good luck hitting it with all-Centennial at 60, 40, 20, 5 and dry hopping (Tinseth of around 50IBUs altogether). Also I've done Magnum at 60min (to about 30IBUs) and then Amarillo at 40, 20, 5, and dry. 

I now have just 4oz of 8.8% Cents and 6oz of 6.9% Amarillo left and want to use them together. I'd like to bitter with Magnum at 60min to get a clean backbone.  I know what 100% Amarillo tastes like (I love the grapefruit thing) but will it clash with Cents? And would I be better off blending the two hops for each addition, or doing the 40 and 20 with Cent and the late with Amarillo, or perhaps alternating the two? I'm open to ideas...

red

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Cent / Amarillo IPA
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 03:34:07 pm »
I have a basic IPA recipe that I throw different hops into. 24# Pale Malt, 2# C-40 for a 10 gallon batch. I've had good luck hitting it with all-Centennial at 60, 40, 20, 5 and dry hopping (Tinseth of around 50IBUs altogether). Also I've done Magnum at 60min (to about 30IBUs) and then Amarillo at 40, 20, 5, and dry. 

I now have just 4oz of 8.8% Cents and 6oz of 6.9% Amarillo left and want to use them together. I'd like to bitter with Magnum at 60min to get a clean backbone.  I know what 100% Amarillo tastes like (I love the grapefruit thing) but will it clash with Cents? And would I be better off blending the two hops for each addition, or doing the 40 and 20 with Cent and the late with Amarillo, or perhaps alternating the two? I'm open to ideas...

red

Any of the above. Centennial blends well with pretty much anything. I've blended the two for each addition, and added them separately. They play really well together.  Centennial is the universal American ale hop IMO.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 03:51:34 pm »

red

Any of the above. Centennial blends well with pretty much anything. I've blended the two for each addition, and added them separately. They play really well together.  Centennial is the universal American ale hop IMO.
Agreed! The last IIPA I made had Columbus, Cenntennial, Amarillo, and Mosaic. My friends are begging for more and I told them that they can buy a lb of the above hops and I'll get right to it.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 04:48:47 pm »

red

Agreed! The last IIPA I made had Columbus, Cenntennial, Amarillo, and Mosaic. My friends are begging for more and I told them that they can buy a lb of the above hops and I'll get right to it.

Man, that sounds pretty tasty !  And if you can get your buddies to buy the hops, you've struck a pretty good deal. Not cheap for IIPA !
Jon H.

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 06:35:08 am »
OK I think I'll use the Centennial at 40 and 20, and finish with the Amarillo late in the boil and as a dry hop, to get that great aroma.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 12:14:49 pm »
If you make a bad Centennial / Amarillo beer, it wasn't because of the hops.  Any reasonable hop schedule makes a nice beer.