Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two hops...  (Read 5162 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Two hops...
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 09:50:36 am »

Is OP just looking for two hops to build hoppy beers around or two hops to be the only hops in several beers?
Looking to just stock up one two versatile hops. Ones that can be used often in IPAs and PAs. So perhaps yes to both of your questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 09:50:53 am »
Not too many Citra lovers here?

To say I dislike Citra would not be strong enough.  _Maybe_ a small amount in combo with other hops to cover up it's fruitiness.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 10:04:53 am »
Not too many Citra lovers here?

To say I dislike Citra would not be strong enough.  _Maybe_ a small amount in combo with other hops to cover up it's fruitiness.

yeah I'm with you on that.  i do use it on occasion, but its one of 5-6 in a mix.  my god can it dominate though.

seems a LOT of the new hops are tropical fruity.  i personally like good ole dank, citrus, pine, resin, etc.  a little of the former is okay, but not predominant.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 10:06:09 am »
seems a LOT of the new hops are tropical fruity.  i personally like good ole dank, citrus, pine, resin, etc.  a little of the former is okay, but not predominant.

Totally agree.  Tropical fruity hops seem to be the trendy thing these days.  I'm hearing more and more people say that they're over them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 10:14:56 am »
I was thinking that this question should have been asked in the form of a poll...  So I went through and recorded what people said.  If they mentioned more than 2 hops, I took the first two.  Here are the results:

Cascade 7
Centennial 5
Magnum 4
Columbus 4
Amarillo 4
EKG 2
Simcoe 2
Those that received 1 vote: Fuggles, Nelson Sauvin, Apollo, Willamette, Citra, Galena, Mosaic.

I think it would be interesting to do distinct voting for a bittering hop and then a flavor/aroma hop.  Hmmm.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 10:17:31 am »

Totally agree.  Tropical fruity hops seem to be the trendy thing these days.  I'm hearing more and more people say that they're over them.

Me included. If I use the fruity hops at all, it's in a blend of 3 or 4 other hops. But yeah, Citra will flat take over if you let it.
Jon H.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 10:23:40 am »
I'm late to the party here but for me it's gonna be Centennial and Amarillo.
I always use Magnum as my bittering hop but I think you are really asking about two flavour hops so you can FWH with Centennial and then finish it up with another late charge of Centennial and some Amarillo

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 10:42:54 am »
This would be a difficult decision. If I had to choose two I'd probably throw a couple of darts at the list below. It really depends on the style of beer that I want to make at a given moment.

American Ales:
Columbus
Centennial
Citra
Simcoe
Amarillo
Mosaic

Continental Lagers:
Hallertau
Tettnang
Saaz

Brittish Ales:
EKG
Fuggles

Belgian Ales:
Hallertau
Saaz
Ron Price

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 11:28:46 am »

Is OP just looking for two hops to build hoppy beers around or two hops to be the only hops in several beers?
Looking to just stock up one two versatile hops. Ones that can be used often in IPAs and PAs. So perhaps yes to both of your questions!

If you're looking for versatility, then Sterling gets my top vote. It works for continental styles quite well, as its noble parentage really shines through as a bittering hop and at low amounts as a late hop. But if you start to push it to APA/IPA amounts you will pick up citrus notes in the vein of a west coast hop.

I'd stick with Apollo as my second choice for bittering and late hops in hoppy beers. But I will admit that this is partially because I want my own beers to stand out from commercial APAs and IPAs.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 03:56:41 pm »
I was thinking that this question should have been asked in the form of a poll...  So I went through and recorded what people said.  If they mentioned more than 2 hops, I took the first two.  Here are the results:

Cascade 7
Centennial 5
Magnum 4
Columbus 4
Amarillo 4
EKG 2
Simcoe 2
Those that received 1 vote: Fuggles, Nelson Sauvin, Apollo, Willamette, Citra, Galena, Mosaic.

I think it would be interesting to do distinct voting for a bittering hop and then a flavor/aroma hop.  Hmmm.
Thank you, that was nice of you!

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 05:36:44 pm »
OK, thanks for all the suggestions! I went with (4) 1/2 pound's of Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, and Columbus. They have a deal on this variety pack, 27.99.
I also had to tempt fate and pick up a little 2 oz. pack of Mosiac.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 06:04:55 pm »
OK, thanks for all the suggestions! I went with (4) 1/2 pound's of Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, and Columbus. They have a deal on this variety pack, 27.99.

That's a solid deal. It's also a solid combo! I usually make a "Four C's" IPA for the summer.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 06:05:43 pm »

That's a solid deal. It's also a solid combo! I usually make a "Four C's" IPA for the summer.

Can't go wrong there !
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 06:05:49 pm »
Thanks, here's the link in case anyone is interested...http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/category_s/1846.htm

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2014, 06:07:49 am »
Just a quick update....holy mackerel, 2 pounds of hops looks like way more than I expected! Not sure if this is kosher here, but I wanted to mention that Yakima Valley Hops sent this from WA to FL in 3 days for $6. Great price and fast shipping.